Tungsol 5881's

I've got a Supratek pre with 5881's and haven't gotten around to rolling out the Sovteks (arrghhh!! groans from the gallery...).

Yes, Tungsols, and yes brown bottom, but what iteration?

I see references to double D getters, short bottles, some that appear to be JANs etc.

What do I need to get/ stay away from?

Please, educate me!!

Thanks,

Mark

asa

Showing 1 response by asa

Hi bwhite, and thank you. Yea, I saw what you said about the KenRad black glass versions. I think mine are the "dark" ones. Admittedly, I like the sound that way sometimes. Although, perhaps, that's why I've ended up with the natural sweetness of the Tungol 6SN7 round plates. Let me know what you find out listening wise on the Rads.

Yea #2: I thought that the brown based Tung 5881's looked like mil-spec. With so many out there and war time production that makes sense - which is, of course, good for me! With C-Mas here they are a little high on ebay right now, but will snab a pair next January (also my Bordeaux futures "problem" has resurfaced...). Oh, I tried a coke bottle pair of Mullard 6L6's - thought they might be nice - but you've got it right: dull, compressed, no immediacy. That's why I haven't gone right out after the Tung 5881's.

Sylv. 5932's uh?

Hmmm.