Tubes for my Mac's 275....NOS or just used?

I am getting close to getting some telefunken tubes for my Mac 275's. I will need 12AX7's and 12AT7's.
What is the difference between NOS and just used? I know there is a saving to buy used but has anyone purchased used with success??

Tks!

Rick (RWD)
rwd

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

I've purchased the majority of my NOS tubes on eBay, or from eBay contacts over the last 5 years. All the purchases(probably 40+) were excellent, but for one(if you e-mail me, I'll let you know his user name). I got four counterfeit Telefunkens from him. Anyway- The majority of tube sellers on the 'Bay are upright and knowledgable(especially the German ones). You just have to know the right questions to ask to find them. Don't buy anything from those sellers in Asia. they are expert counterfeiters. If you visit here, you'll find a comparison chart that indicates what kind of sound to expect from various 12AX7s: (https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm) The flavor of the 12AT7s manufactured by the same companys will be similar. If you like transparency, lack of colorations/microphonics, no phoney mid-range warmth: try the Siemens and Telefunkens(from the 60's).