Tube Question

I have an amp that has Russian Tubes. This amp purchased in the 90's has always had a hum to it which when playing music isn't heard. I'm thinking of buying 1 6SL7 and 1 6550EH tube to swap out and see if I can find if one of the tubes is the problem. The 6SL7 is Sovtek and the 6550EH is electro-harmonix. Should I replace with a similar tube from another company or continue with the same company? Is this approach to finding the problem sensible or a waste of time?
128x128jcbach

Showing 2 responses by invictus005

Tubes can 100% absolutely positively hum! I used to use Sovtek tubes and they were horrid, many hummed like crazy. New Electro Harmonix are much better. NOS US made are best and quietest. I definitely recommend getting new tubes to try.
@lewm My experience proves it. Had an integrated tube amp which used 6SN7 tubes. Ordered brand new Sovteks from Parts Connexion at the time and they hummed so bad it was impossible to listen to music. 60Hz hum and noise/buzz on top of it.

Replaced them with JAN 6SN7 and it was so quiet you’d have to put your ear to the tweeter to even hear the faintest of hiss.

Yes, garbage Russian and junk Chinese tubes can hum.

I had a similar experience with 300B tubes and many others.