tube pre amp or tube amp

I go through a phase every few years where I choose to "upgrade" my system or make a change just for the sake of doing so. My current system sounds beautiful but today I am curious
I am running an AudioResearch CD9 source through an AudioResearch REF5SE pre amp followed by VAC phi300i AMP
I was considering inserting a high end solid state piece into the system such as a PASS XA60.8 mono blocks instead of VAC. 
I was considering changing out the Audio Research pre amp to a LAMM pre amp (hybrid)
If I would like to interject a solid state component  into my system, would it be more advantageous for that piece to be the AMP or the PRE AMP?
wahoo101488

Showing 2 responses by 4425

i’m a little different in that i have found that a great solid state preamp driving a great tube amp is very special. whether right or wrong going this way adds tube magic as the last link. 
the are many ss preamps that fit the bill and often have better features. fwiw
I haven’t noticed any bass issues at all using an ARC Ref 75se with Wilson speakers except that it sounds full and tight. Watt for watt the tube amp suffered little in comparison to some very good ss amps. If the last component in the chain is ss then that’s what you’ll primarily receive. IMO