Tube novice here. KT88 or EL34?

Hello everyone
I want to setup a second system consisting of tubes. I love my McIntosh SS but for some music I realize tubes are better. I auditioned the Cary SLi80, the Rogue 66/88, EAR 847, and the Unison Research Simply 2. Of the three, I liked the Unison the best. It was very musical, almost ethereal in presentation and I loved it and want one badly. It was auditioned on very strange speakers called Royd Ministrels which looked ridiculously puny but sounded remarkable. I want to stick with an integrated so it is all-tube sound and no mismatches (most separates are out of my budget).

Anyway, there are two versions of this integrated, one with KT88s and one with EL34s (I auditioned the latter). What is the big difference? The KT88 one is more expensive so I am wondering. I favor soundstage and musicality over anything else. I have a Sony ES CDP, and Paradigm Reference 100.2s with MIT cables (will these speakers do well with 12W? The Royds were a lot less sensitive and sounded fantastic so I assuming it will do fine). Thanks for any info, ideas, suggestions, as I am new to tubes. Arthur
aball

Showing 1 response by catman2963

Abal, I have always felt there is something magic about a good KT88 in most amps designed for 6550's that I have owned. I have recently joined the Cary SET crowd after years with the bigger iron. With that said you may want to look at the 300B integrateds out there. I think I am sold on the magic of the singe ended triode.

While I really like Cary gear, you may want to look at something like a Kora Electronic Concept (www.kora.net) "Design 30." That was one of the finest EL34 based integrated amps I have heard. Some guy has one on the gon for around $1450. That is a bit steep but a great sounding integrated. I am not sure I really answered your question. Just some thoughts.