Tube DAC Recommendations

I am in the market for DAC; my preference is a tube DAC. My primary music source will come from a computer or music server. The DAC will connect to Sim Audio 700i integrated amp. Budget is up to $7000 for the DAC.
I have been studying this forum over the last several months but cannot seem to find a consensus on the top 3-5 tube DACs.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
ddelisle911

Showing 9 responses by ddelisle911

Rtilden-
Thank you for your comments. My aim with this DAC is to bring some warmness to the music since every other componet is digital. In regards to the CD player; does it full fill your expectations?
To all-
Thank you for your responses; I welcome more. In the meantime, I will start my research on the above that were already mentioned, I now have a starting point and this helps a lot.
It seems to me that tube DAC technology may not have caught up with the current sampling rates currently on the internet.
Perhaps there is a limitation of hi rez music available; I will need to check that.

Two of the suggestions above have limitations regarding the sampling rate. I have no CD collection right now; I am starting from scratch. The plan was to use downloaded hi rez files from the internet and store this on a server. My thinking was that I would get a better sound quality.

I am not opposed to making an investment in cd's; I just thought that I was going backwards with CD's. Your thoughts?
MrTennis-
I am seeing the model # as 5000; there was a successor of 5100 but which went up to 24/96, but they still kept the 5000 as their "signature" model.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zanden/mkII.html
My only concern is the low sampling rate of 16/44.
Hi Rtilden-
Do you have other sources hooked into the Romulus? If so, what are they? Tks
Rtilden-
Thank you for your response. I am currently leaning towards the Romulus in order to get to have the CD option. I have plans to add some sort of music server/computer to complete the system. I am located in Honduras and will not have the opportunity to audition any DACS and service will be an issue. I am relying on the reviews from the various forums. My decision will be based upon on sonics, reliability, functionality. Please keep me posted on your break-in period as I will be making a decision within the next few days.
Tks
Many thanks to all for your advice on this matter. It was a huge help to me in narrowing down the list.
I have decided to go with the Romulus.

Rtilden-
I appreciate all your comments concerning your experience with the Romulus. Keep me posted on what you do on the tube end.
Best.. Derek