Tube and SS pairs

I was wondering what are the advantages/ disadvantages of tube preamp with SS amp versus SS preamp with tube amp combinations.

I can see the cost advantage of wanting to add more of a tube sound to an existing SS amp. But I was primarily curious about the different sound characteristics of each set up, theoretical and hopefully from your experience.

Thanks in advance
recluse

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

I used to have a McIntosh C50 solid state preamp paired with an MC452 solid state power amp.

One of my buddies implored me to try a tube preamp, so I snagged a McIntosh C2500 and immediately noticed that vocals, acoustic guitars, pianos, violins, etc. sounded "smoother" and "more musical".  When I replaced the stock tubes with Gold Lions, the sound was even "more musical".

I'm not an engineer but I believe that solid state power amps are better at controlling loudspeakers.  Back in the 70's I had a tube power amp and used it quite often, after about a year it seemed that it wore down the tubes, once replaced, it sounded more alive and resolving.

So count me "in" for a tube preamp/solid state power amp vote!