Tube Amp Recommendations $1500

My last amp was a Prima Luna Prologue 5, and it was my first Tube amp, and I loved it! I ended up selling because I turned it on one day and it sparked, then smoked, and as a result, one channel played quieter and distorted. I didn't want to deal with it and needed some cash, so I sold it...

I am currently using a modified Acurus A-100 which is a great amp for the money I spent ($300) but it's time to start researching tube amps in the $1500 price range.

I'm looking for something that looks good, has more power than my Prima Luna 5, and has that charecteristic warm, lush, textured and detailed sound.

My current set-up is:
Pangea P.C.'s
Signal cable silver res. interconnects
Lightspeed Attenuator
Parasound Z-Dac
Wadia 170i
Ps Audio Quintet
Paradigm Sig. 2's V.3
4 gik 244's
11x13 room
Musical tastes: Rock, Electronic, female Vocalists, Classical, Jazz.
128x128b_limo

Showing 1 response by bifwynne

Not sure if Al is referring to me. I own the Paradigm S8s (v3) and drive them with an ARC Ref 150, which is a tube amp. I suspect the S8s (v3) have pretty wild impedance and phase angle plots based on bench reports of the S8s (v2) that I have seen. Having said that, the S8s (v3) have upgraded woofers and a modified x-over. I surmise the impedance and phase angle plots of the S8s (v3) may be different than the S8s (2), but I am not sure how much so.

Notwithstanding all the techno-babble, based on a telephone conversation with Paradigm tech folks, I was told the S8s (v3) were voiced to be driven by a high current SS amp, which almost by definition has very low output impedance.

As an fyi, I've been able to squeak by because my Ref 150 has an output impedance of .8 ohms off the 8 ohm taps and has a 1040 joule capacitive power supply. As a consequence, it performs somewhat like a "low'ish" output impedance SS amp and can deliver a lot of power in short bursts if needed.

Btw, I believe the link to the Stereophile report relates to the S2 (v1), which is a very different animal than the S2 (v3). Even still, my advice is that you match the S2s (v3) with a very stable high current SS amp.