Tube Amp Recommendation

I am looking for a tube amp, if possible, recommendation for driving a pair of Acoustat 44 electrostat speakers. The speakers drop down to nearly 1 ohm at 20hz, so this makes it pretty tough on any type of amp. I am try to keep the price under $1500. Also, I use a Quicksilver full function preamp; I think it's OK, but I'm always open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Calvin
tbone

Showing 1 response by alts1962

Calvin,
The pre-map you got is a pretty fast sounding tube pre-amplifier, if you like fast music, you can match a transitor amp without any problem, but if you like classical music and slow type of music, then you surely need a tube power amplifier. But in the market, there seems to be no tube power amplifier with 2ohm output impedance selection. Fortunately, I know one manufacturer can give you the 2ohm output option, it is the "Space-Tech Lab" , the web site address is "www.space-tech-lab.com". Those model VP-102 and VP-103 output transformer have 2/4/8 ohm wiring point, although the standard model is come with 4/8 ohm , but you can ask for internal wiring of 2/4 ohm output without extra cost. The price is really reasonable, just about $1500 new with all point to point hand-wired, no printed circuit board. Take a look and you might find something really interest.

Good Luck.

Audio Helper