Transformers .. Is It Just Me?

I have 2 line conditioners in my system in series -- the SR PowerCell 10SE Mark II (according to Ted_d's information, thanks) plugged into a Bybee Stealth. Frankly, with my recent experience with an isolation transformer, if I had to do it all over again I would have made different choices. I think I could have had a lot more bang for my buck. Let's just say that the Bybee Stealth made it worthwhile.

After experimenting with a lot of Bybee products I have come to the conclusion that it is hard to do too much AC cleaning. Lately, I have been doing research into balanced conditioners, isolation transformers and power regenerators. Since I live overseas it would cost an arm and a leg to have one of those mammoth balanced transformers shipped over -- not to mention the cost of the item. This is beyond my budget. So I have been looking at relatively inexpensive "alternatives". I cannot afford a balanced conditioner or balanced isolation transformer at the moment so I decided to gamble on a relatively inexpensive medical grade isolation transformer.

I found what I thought might be a good choice on Ebay. (I also found an inexpensive power regenerator. That's a story that will have to wait for another thread.) I just put this isolation transformer into my system and have been doing some A/B-ing. I have read where non-balanced transformers will have minimal effect -- but I did read (I lost the thread) where one Audiogon poster was not convinced of this. My initial experience -- is it just me? This is amazing. The holographic effect with this unit in my system is astonishing. This is unmistakable. When I unplug the unit the air around instruments and vocalists is gone. The sound is still holographic but it is not the same at all.

OK, the unit has a hum due to the internal fan. But with all but very low volume I cannot detect it. I'll have to work on damping the hum. Has anyone else had a positive experience with a medical grade isolation transformer? My unit was made in Germany by Block, by a top maker of transformers. It weighs about 40 lbs. and the toroidal is encased in resin. Do different medical transformers give different results?
sabai
Well I just received my other 3 Isolation transformers.
I now have a total of 4 of them.
One is before my Synergistic Powercell and the other 3 are plugged into the Powercell. One is used for digital, one is for analog, and the other one is for my Home theater equipment.
My Pass Labs Amps are still plugged directly into another dedicated circuit.
Yesterday for the first time, I got to try them all together.

First, the Video, what excellent picture quality, I am seeing better colors like a little more greens and yellows. Picture looks pretty sharp and natural.

On my Audio, everything sounds so clean, it sounds as though the soundstage moved forward a bit.
To my surprise with this now sharper sound, I can now hear more warts in the recorded sound.
An example of this is on the SACD "Wish you were" song by Pink Floyd. The main guitars in the middle of that song now sound distorted, but, then I realized it was supposed to sound like that! I noticed it right away it is now very clear.
I'll still be playing around with different placements of the Iso Transformers and perhaps try it on my Pass Power Amp sometime.

The only drawback right now is the slight transformer hum I hear on the Iso unit that is connected to the dedicated line that feeds the Synergistic Powercell. It must be because it has the most current draw.
Ozzy,
I'm glad to hear you are getting such good results with your transformers. I also have a hum on my isolation transformer plugged into the wall but it's no problem since the music drowns it out.
I also have the Olympus 012MD Isolation Transformers. I have had 3 of them for 3-4 months. I bought mine because, when I was in the Navy, we hospital grade UL60601 transformers (like the 012MD) for our sensitive equipment and they produced excellent results.

These isolation transformers are among the best available. Most audio gear use torroidal transformers, which are very good and cost effective. These use R-type transformers which are the best, but also the most expensive.

I also noticed a clarity to the sound quality that I had not had before. Each instrument sounds as if it were being played by a different driver - they are much more clearly defined and natural sounding. Harmonics from pianos, intentional distortion used on electric guitars, etc. For example, when I listen to Neil Young's bluray (audio) box set, those songs that have distorted electric guitars have an underlying distortion that I have became accustomed to. Now, that underlying distortion is gone - I can clearly hear that one rlectric guitar is distorted - nothing else, and I can hear all of the other instruments more distinctly than ever before. There is also a major improvement to the picture quality on my plasma TV - everything looks more natural.

I am using the audience aR6T conditioner after one transformer that is plugged into an oyaide outlet, and have it powering all of my digital electronics via JPS Digital AC-X power cables. I have my second 012MD connected to an audience aR2P-TO which powers two of my BEL 1001 MK V amplifiers via JPS Power AC-X cables, and the third one is between a different oyaide outlet and a PS Audio Juice Bar that powers all of my analog gear via JPS Analog AC-X power cables

These transformers improve my system's sound quality more than every power cable (eg, audience, Cardas, Shunyata, JPS, etc) and more than every conditioner (eg, Shunyata, audience) I have owned.

Happy Listening!
Dave
Hifigi,
Your experience is very interesting. The medical grade isolation transformer that I use is torroidal.