Tonearm re-wire - what would you use?

Thinking of re-wiring my tonearm wire.

Just wondering, what do people re-wire with and how much did it cost and was it a lot or a little hassle?
analoguecamera

Showing 1 response by jj2468

I am using the Discovery 28awg wire from Parts Connexion.

I solder it to simple copper slip-on connectors at the tonearm end (connects to posts on Graham Phantom) and I solder it to Eichman bullet rca connectors at the photo stage end. I do not find it difficult to solder it to the copper clips. Place the small clip barrel end up in a vice, insert the wire end and a small piece of solder together in the barrel of the clip and apply the solder iron so that it melts the solder in the barrel. Remove the iron and let the solder cool with the wire in it.

I do find it tedious to solder it to the Eichman (it is easy to put in too much heat and accidentally move the pin in its plastic housing).

I do not shield it or braid it and get no interference, which is probably unusual. Also, it is easy to accidentally sever the wire when stripping off the insulation. There is a technique for stripping fine wire using a soldering iron or match, but I do not know exactly what the technique is. Jeff