Tips on dealing with audio dealers

Where I live we don't have stereo stores that handle high end audio equipment. So, I need some guidance. Can I order a preamp from an audio store and have it shipped to me? I know Mcintosh won't let you do that. Does Audio Research? How about prices? Are they set in stone or negotiable? I don't have a dealer and have never dealt with one so can some of you guys suggest a good one? I am considering the REF6 but for a good price I would consider a 5SE. I have heard there are a number of 5SE's for sale but I haven't run into any yet. Any advice you guys can give me would be helpful and much appreciated.
wemfan

Showing 1 response by tomic601

You should be able to work out with ARC who your supporting dealer should be and there will most probably be some latitude as you seem to be far from one.
for example when I lived in Charleston SC with no dealer in the state they told me pick from nearest three and build a relationship. two were in NC and one in Atlanta.
my REF5se went to my dealer and he installed tubes, listened to it and caught a few errors ( simple cosmetic stuff but errors none the less resolved them.
Ayre and Aesthetix suggested I do same so 
DAC and power amp business went to Atlanta dealer a five hour drive away.
to say that I have special relationship and enjoy phenomenal support from these two dealers is an understatement