thoughts on MBL amps: 8011 vs 9007's

I have a pair of MBL 111e's being powered by the smaller 8011 monoblock amps; all I could afford at that time. I like my MBL's; but was wondering if my amps are enough to bring out all the music from the 111es. I know people are polorized on the MBL brand; but I'd like some opinions on whether there would be enough improvement in musicality and base response; and flow of the music by moving up in the amplifer line to justify the huge increase in price. Or would a different brand of a high current, solid state amp do the trick for me for less money. I also know some folks here are running MBL 101e's with Lamm tube amps; but I'm not sure i'm ready to switch from ss to tubes; and the hastle factor..thoughts on reasonable upgrade path would be appreciated...economy is making the upgrade bug more of a luxury; but the bug is tickling..thanks for helpful replys.
Setup: MBL 111'es main; Meridian 861 processor; aerial cc5 center; Parasound A-51 multi amp, velodyne dd15 sub; Meridian G-98 source; and Qsonix music server; with MIT Maxum M=2 cables. Large; open room; high cathedral ceilings; wood floors;
mribob

Showing 2 responses by vx700

Are you using any kind of room treatments, acoustics etc? How long have you lived the 8011? Do you feel you are lacking something, like headroom?

What type of music are you listening to?

I have not heard the MBL 111es, I have the AndraIII's and I am running McIntosh MC1.2KW's, over kill in power for my room and speakers, I was considering the 8011's- so your question struck interest in me.
Do you feel that you don't have the power or current reserve to play at levels you enjoy to get that life like sound?

Or do you feel something else is missing?

Thanks for your thoughts
Hi Mribob, another 20 amp outlet never hurts, but if you add one see if it can be installed as a dedicated with its own external ground. I have (3) dedicated 20 amp outlets. But I have never blown a fuse.

When we are enjoying all the glory of a Blu-Ray and True DD-HD sound we run the pair of MC1.2KW and a pair JL Audio F-113 subs into 2 of the dedicated circuits with no loss of power, clipping or fuses being blown.

For two channel I send each MC1.2KW to its own outlets and my C220 and SACD player to the other. Your 8011 extreme high peak pulse power up to 1.100 W (MONO) were as the 9007 draws 1.900- much higher.

I would agree Richlane above about both statements, 1st being preamp, you should check out the MBL 5011 it also has HT pass through and would be a major improvement over all check out this review:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/mbl_5011.htm

there is a demoed one on A-gon for 5K. The 2nd review is from the same guy on your amps the 8011, he raves about how great it is but for the ultimate performance he recommends the 9007. Those are here on A-gon for 17K

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue30/mbl8011.htm

I think before you even rush out and buy new amps you'd be surprised at what room treatments can do for your whole system, room and ears. They where a must for me once I started with them, I played around for months reading about room treatments, sound roofing, live rooms etc.
One you get the room dialed in then move on to your next quest- unless you feel that your ears are pleased with the acoustics.
Good luck,