Thoughts on Krell FPB series? 600 in particular.

Or the 300 as well.
Will be using it to power a pair of Thiel 3.6s and Maggie 2.7QR some of the time. Currently have a Classe CA-200. I'm looking for more slam and I'm thinking the extra power will result in a less constricted soundstage (more open). Is my thinking right?

How about the CX series? 300CX or 400CX

Associated equipment: Wadia 850, ARC LS-2B, Cardas and PAD cables.
jcatral14

Showing 1 response by socfan12

I had a Krell FPB300 many years ago and thought it was a sweet sounding amp with a warm, if not slightly dark tonality. It sounded a tad grainy when compared to my Rowland 8TiHC.

While researching new Krell amps recently, I often hear that the cx and mcx series of amps are some of the best of that generation. More extended in the highs, but still the same dynamics and bass slam.

@Audiolabyrinth, you will likely get Evo internals in your 700cx (that's what a Krell dealer recently told me). I recently had the 900e monos and they were dead silent, totally neutral, extended at both ends and with the typical dynamics and control Krell amps are known for. The sound is a little leaner than what I remember of my FPB300, and just a shade leaner than my Rowland, but still a great sounding amp that could drive any speaker.