thorens or Rega

I'm presently trying to decide which table to use with a Blue Point Special cartridge, the Rega 2 has a Linn Basik LVX tonearm and the Thorens is a TD160, with a floating plater and armboard, very similiar to the Linn LP12, The Thorens table seems very well built I've replaced the Matt with felt, I have a stud mounted wall shelf for stablity.
rwilli6527
Stay away from this particular Rega. In spite of my personal preference of the Planar 3 over the Thorens, this table had its arm transfered onto another deck and had the Linn arm stuffed on to replace it.The mounting geometries of the Rega and Linn arms is completely different and the result will be that proper cartridge alignment will be impossible with the combination. The only way that a Linn arm can be mounted to a Rega table is to insert a plug for the original mounting hole, peel away and replace the top laminate surface and re-drill.This is a questionable and difficult procedure that is not likely to have been performed.The seller either has no scruples or is completely ignorant of turntable setup.
Now back to your question- if you listen to a lot of piano or other pitch sensitive material, the Thorens is the better bet but a Rega Planar 3 is the better deck in rhythmic and expressive qualities.
As far as Audiovisionary's statement regarding quality issues with Rega,his would be an outright falsehood with Rega far superior to the Music Halls and ProJect tables in constancy and care in manufacture.
correction/expansion-
the above also applies to the Rega P2 and the P2 based NAD 533 as well as the Rega P3
Caterham1700, I've been thinking the same about the Linn Arm not being geo-metricly accurate and that what I need to do is get an RB250 with the improved wiring, then having that put in place on the Rega 2, to be honest I paid very little for the Rega and should have looked into that combination before I paid for this combination. Meanwhile I am going to go for the THorens with the BPS which I again paid very little for.....Had a R2 years ago with which ever arm came standard and a Signet cartridge sold that combo now wsihing I never had...can anyone help me get an RB250 with the new wiring? or point me in that direction? Thanks,in Advance
Get in touch of Doug Sedond about the 250.He knows about them better than most.
hi rwilli,

dunno if i know about 'em better than most, but i *do* know that i got a good deal on an origin-live modded rb250 from stoneaudio uk. i tink ewe can also buy 'em direct from origin-live. in the usa, i believe galen carol audio sells 'em. killer arm, really nice on my oracle 'table. origin-live sez it's their best arm - even better than their modified rb900. the 900 has better-quality bearings, but the more rigid bearing mounting of the 250 works better after the mods are done (according to o-l).

doug s.