thorens 160 versions and cartridge recommendations

Hi All,
I've just ended up with a TD 160 with a tp 16 tonearm for next to nothing. I have been putting in some hours to clean, lube, polish and balance the machine and it now looks and runs well. I will likely do some of the analogdept suggested mods to dampen, replace the bottom panel and possibly rewire to rca terminals.
Two questions keep coming up: How can I determine what generation (MK) TP-16 that I have? I understand that the versions have dramatically different weights. I have searched the analogdept site and can't seem to find a place there or elsewhere that describes how to differentiate the various versions. If I can determine that I have a MK1 which is 16.5g, then what cartridge recommendations are there out there? I listen to all genres of music with a tube phono and pre and SS amp.
Lastly, any suggestions for where to source cardas tonearm wire and rca boards?
Thanks!
fmj

Showing 1 response by thorman

If its any help I am using ( Original mk1 TD160 )a Shure M91ED on mine and it works very well..Also have used Shure M55E and also works well ( a little brighter than the 91ED )...The Vintage Shure cartridges all seem to work quite well..I like them much better than the Grado Gold ...