Theta Compli used as a CD Player? internal DAC

Hi,

Does anyone use an original Theta Compli (stand alone - no external DACs) as their primary CD player? I emailed Theta and they indicated the Compli is to be used with one of their external DACs. But, I understand the Compli does have an internal DAC (BB PCM1737???) however, this would potentially be my first piece of really high end gear, and I've read that Theta gear is a cut above anyway. Also, I'm comparing the Compli to the following cd players I amd looking at: Cambridge Audio 640 v2, Arcam Alpha 9 and Adcom GCD-750. Also, what would "mate well" with my Pioneer SX-1050 receiver and Mirage M-3si speakers?
jsbach1685

Showing 1 response by zd542

I've never liked Theta CD players. To me, they sound very lifeless. I would definitely look at other players, as well. I had a 640V2 and thought it was very good for the money. Of the CD players you list, that would be my first choice.

That said, I would strongly recommend that you upgrade from your Pioneer first. I think doing that would make a much bigger difference than a new CD player. I would buy a CD player after you get a new amp.