The Truth About Power Cords and there "Real" Price to Performance

This is a journey through real life experiences from you to everyone that cares to educate themselves. I must admit that I was not a believer in power cords and how they affect sound in your system. I from the camp that believed that the speaker provided 75% of the sound signature then your source then components but never the power cord. Until that magic day I along with another highly acclaimed AudioGoner who I will keep anatomist ran through a few cables in quite a few different systems and was "WOWED" at what I heard. That being said cable I know that I am not the only believer and that is why there are so many power cord/cable companies out there that range from $50 to 20-30 thousand dollars and above. So I like most of you have to scratch my head and ask where do I begin what brand and product and what should i really pay for it?

The purpose of this discussion to get some honest feed back on Price to Performance from you the end user to us here in the community.

Please fire away!

128x128blumartini
@turnbowm

I can't anwer that specifically... but there was a definite change in frequency response.  Only way I can describe it, is that the highs went super airy to the point they were piercing... and the vocal range disappeared almost to the point of being inaudible.

Would it have gotten better if I left it in longer?  Don't know... I didn't wait to find out.
I should add that it was the original Venom from a few years back.  It's been sitting around collecting dust because I was having a hard time finding a good spot for it.

During some recent interconnect and PC changes... I tried it on the Oppo. Yuck!!!

At this point it's gonna get Ebayed or traded in to the Cable Co towards another purchase.
Where’s the Atlanta guy with the listening challenge? I’m game. I’ve got an all-mechanical A:B switchbox I built with identical headphone amps that can A:B a pair of Oppos with whatever cords you want to battle. Level match with 1KHz test tone and VOILA! I’ll prove that nobody can hear a difference (consistently) between properly gauged power cords.

My Opps is a stock BDP-103. All we need is a second one and we’ve got a test rig.

My buddy has a PHD in statistics; I’ll have him assist me to build a test matrix that is scientifically valid.

Who in Atlanta who thinks they can hear a difference is game to prove it?
 I agree with you on the difference of power cords make on my system a few Kimber cables that cost between three and five hundred bucks I really don't want to spend more on it because I have this fear that you are dealing with the laws of diminishing returns very expensive power cords to me are not going to sound 10 times better than a three or four hundred dollar power cord
AtDavid and Dimora , Mi Casa es Su Casa for anything HiFi related. Its no trick of marketing , Im not smart enough for that. I’m sick of hearing this back and forth perpetual argument. I want to abolish it. I just offered anyone lets do this .. did you see how much interest there was in stopping the argument and getting to the bottom of it. ? Clearly nobody will come from overseas, that never crossed my mind. So you 2 are perfect, you guys dont know me and I will state for the record I dont think I know either of you, but based on moniker I dont know you guys.. So do either of you two have any $1000 plus power cords ? if so , we’ve got a shootout. If not, then you two are Audiogon forum users that can represent the AG Group for this thread. Keep in mind, I am a straight shooter. if something sounds better than my cable I will acknowledge it, furthermore if we become friends while you are here you must maintain an honest opinion even if you think Im a great guy and the other cable sounds better. Now if there is no $1K plus cable you can bring, then I need to know if you each are power cord believers or not, if you are , then come over any ways and we can listen to 3D Holographic imaging. Its a good reference point from which to judge other rigs, and its always fun for me to experience it in other peoples rigs because it is elusive. If you dont know what you think or better yet are a non believer that is OK with being converted to believer (if its truly heard) then come on over and Ill prove power cords work an a big way. There are some folks not willing to be converted , and that bias makes a closed mind, so its futile at that point. Every Friday is HiFi Fridays around here. I am in Smyrna by the new Battery Park if you google my username or just go to my username.com youll find my phone number to call and chat..