The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

@audiodwebe

You have answered your own question and diagnosis is you are perfectly normal. You have self treated through gained wisdom and realize all you have to do is swap your own gear around. It’s all about the endorphins from change. That’s all it is and you can achieve it without buying new stuff if you have a variety of components already. If new stuff stopped the cycle (never does based on used market) you wouldn’t see the huge amount of really good gear on the used market. Clearly it’s just the change that feeds the endorphin release! Of course, if one has an endless supply of cash and finds it enjoyable to keep buying new gear all the time, they should just go ahead and enjoy themselves; however,  it’s still about "that desire for change, that great new change in sound, those endorphins", albeit it always grows old needing another change, over and over; that is the root stimulus behind all this. 

Over the last year I’ve changed the majority of my components at least twice. I’m in a new house and had to find the best components that would work together. 

@firefly627s

Another nice thing about composing more than one system out of gear already on hand is that you can create different systems with different strengths.

I have one system that uses Martin Logan CLS electrostatics - if I want to listen to strings that is the system I head for.  In the mood for the 1812 Overture?  Head for the main system that uses Wilson Maxx 2s.

Ditto for finding the best set ups - wonder if a particular power amp is giving the best sound for you?  Borrow an amp from another system and see.  The last time I did that the Jeff Rowand 5 got relegated to the video system and was replaced with a CJ Premier 11a.  All without going out and buying anything new.,,,

Adventurous!

As long as you are enjoying it - awesome.  If not, then establish a timeline for making changes