The Palladian-A step beyond

The new cartridge from Acoustical Systems may finally be the LOMC to fully realise the theoretical advantages of the genus.
And convince those long-suffering audiophiles to whom the 'modern' MC presentation has been anathema to 'live sound'....that the realism of vintage LOMCs like the SPUs and FR-7 series has finally been recaptured 👀
IMAGE 1 
IMAGE 2 
IMAGE 3 
IMAGE 4 
IMAGE 5 
IMAGE 6 
IMAGE 7 
128x128halcro
Post removed 
I just received  the new SMARTscrew Timet 1100 cartridge screws from Acoustical Systems.
These are so new they don't yet appear on their Website...👀
Two pairs (of different lengths) are included in the box and they are obviously made of the same titanium alloy material as the Palladian cartridge body.
I wasted no time in exchanging them for the previously installed screws (which had come with the cartridge).
For the past week, I have been conducting one-on-one comparisons of the Palladian and some of my other cartridges but lately have been concentrating on the SPU Silver Meister.
This is such an easy comparison for me as I have the Raven AC-2 set-up with two identical FR-66s tonearms, each one pre-loaded with the relevant cartridge.
Most of us devoted to high-end analogue these days......acknowledge that EVERYTHING in the chain matters...
I've heard all the differences that mats (or no mats) can make....
Even the type/weight/material and design of the record weight 
can have an effect on the 'sound'...
But far and away for me in my system.....the choice of headshell has made the most significant differences to how a cartridge 'sounds' or how many of its abilities are allowed to perform at their maximum 👐
So it should not really surprise.....that the screws fixing the cartridge body to the headshell.....can similarly affect the sound....
But it does...🤔‼️

For the previous week, the two cartridges were closely matched (a compliment to both) with little differences in the two tonal presentations.
Where the Palladian had an edge was in the soundstage and transparency.....but it was 'close' 😎
Not anymore.....
There was little apparent change to the tonal presentations but in the areas where the Palladian had a slight edge......it now excelled👏
The soundstage became more 3-dimensional with easily visualised, depth and instrumental-location clues.
The width seemed to become wider or at least the instruments on the extreme edges, were now clearer with 'body'....
And the transparency.....❓
When you experience the illusion of instruments in space, but 'real' space....space which you can 'see' around and feel that you can walk into and importantly.....walk into, turn left, walk through then turn right and proceed even deeper to the next plane of instruments....
That's quite shocking if you haven't experienced it regularly....
But it's these screws that do it...
That's the part that's hard to believe...🤔
You need these screws to extract the full capabilities of this cartridge..
So why aren't they included with the cartridge you might ask?
For the same reason that the Yamamoto HS-4 carbon-fiber headshell is not included 😎

Let's face it....
If you want silver headshell leads or silver wiring in your tonearm....you must pay for it.
If you want an exotic headshell of wood, titanium, carbon-fibre or ceramic....you must pay for it.
If you want an active isolation table to support your turntable....you must pay for it.
All these things you choose to pay for....can, or will enhance the sound capabilities of your analogue playback.
These things are not for the faint-of-heart, but those of us who are mad enough...or dedicated enough....or rich enough....

For those lucky enough to be able to afford the Palladian cartridge, it's simply a no-brainer (from my experience) to buy the SMARTscrew Timet 1100 to go with it. After all.....it's the cost of the fancy headshell 😀
Which most users with 'fixed-headshell' tonearms won't even need 🤓

My problem now is.....
What to do about the screws in my forty other cartridges....😱

I posted a long time ago that I first encountered Raul on a VE thread where he declared all MCs hopelessly flawed and/or distorted. This was some time after he started his MM/MI thread, maybe 8/9 yrs. ago?  His command of English was much the same as today.  Unspecified distortions and vaguely described flaws were hard to dispute and it was a frustrating experience. Now his posts seem longer and more repetitious. 

I'm not sure if there was some kind of dispute about someone not getting a purchase from him. I thought of him as basically honest, and still do.

What's really changed is his usefulness to some other members in identifying high performing vintage carts. Some people would wait for his picks or get them by email and invest. 

I've heard a couple heavy metal tunes I like, but I'm far from knowing much about metallurgy. Here's what Brakemeier said:

"I am using Timet 1100 Titanium for all my cartridge bodies due to the fact that it combines outstanding high drawing strength with about the highest transition speed in all suitable metals.This I consider of importance to get mechanical induces energy from the tracking process during playback as fast as possible through the tonearm, its bearings and into the base."

This is the same formula as in the review.
Ti-6Al-2.7Sn-4Zr-0.4Mo-0.45Si

Seems like a good idea to me, although I can't confirm the specs. This is what Lewm was talking about earlier in the thread. Most of the mechanical energy of the cart does not get converted to electricity. The best idea IMO is to dissipate excess energy and critically damp any remaining.

So you buy a 10K Palladian cartridge, but you have to fork out another XX$$ to buy cartridge screws that work best with the Palladian. Give me a break.   They should be included - period.  

Henry - you are not making Dietrich look good with this post.

You lost me anyway saying the Palladian sounds similar to a SPU - certainly not something I am looking for in a cartridge.

But hey, that is why everyone likes different things - we all have different systems that enhance some aspects of music to other aspects.
Hi @halcro , I have also made this upgrade and it surprised me how much difference it made. But maybe it should not have given the effects unwanted vibrations not properly dealt with can have at this critical point. I also have been told, "second hand" 😀, that they even made a difference over titanium screws made to less exacting standards.

All the best.