The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

yes barts, a system like these would require a very expensive custom designed room, and like previously mentioned, at least 3 Ferraris in the garage...fortunately many here and worldwide have that kind of disposable income...

@kenjit 

True...but it would only take a CD player plugged into the PA to cure that.

Regards,

barts

@jl35 

My personal opinion, and really, it is only that. I have a sneaking suspicion that the average person who spend $500K+ on speakers is not an audiophile. I am sure some are, but I expect many are not. I would even question how many of those speakers end up in the very necessary to extract full performance highly customized and tuned room. (Of course I would also questions whether these are really as good as the cost, but that is another discussion). For some people, these are truly audiophile items, but I suspect, again purely opinion, that for many, these are simply luxury items for those with very very large disposable incomes. Without the fully customized room and all the tuning associated, other than visually, the audio experience you will have will be no better than someone who spent far less, but has an acoustically proper setup. This would extend to crazy expensive turntables and electronics as well.

@jl35 

The thing about Ferraris is that unless you belong to a track club there is really no where to stretch them out.  It's an acquired taste that crazy need for speed is! I've driven enough Ferraris and Lambos in my day, fantastic cars, just get ready for $10k service appointments.  

I've never gotten cited for playing my music too loud...but have plenty of speeding tickets to my name.

Regards,

barts 

+1 @deludedaudiophile

Also makes me wonder what kind of insane "entertainment" system is built into the mega-yachts of ultra wealthy.

Regards,

barts