The best mini monitors you have heard?

Two ways, either stand-mounted or small floor standers. If you have good experience, could you share? I have been using the Kharma 3.2s for a few years, so take that as my reference point. I have heard the Magico Minis...impressive initially but too aggressive for prolonged listening..and arguably overpriced IMHO. I haven't heard the MKII version. I recently heard the Dynaudio Confidence C1, driven by Plinius electronics. I was impressed, esp when i found out it can be had for 1/3 to 1/4 the price of the 3.2s or the Minis. What else is out there? please share.
128x128alectiong

Showing 6 responses by chaz801

There's a few smallish speakers that im going to audition. I've talked to several people that i trust in the audio business. I've longed for a small to medium sized floor standers but there is a chance i will be in a smaller listening enviroment once i relocate so to be safe im looking at monitors as well. Keep in mind i have to build a system from the ground up including components. So im opened to Solid State or Tube gear depending on the speakers i settle on. The speakers i want to audition are as follows.

Merlin VSM
Merlin TSM
Escalante Juniper
Escalante Pinyon
Rockport Mira monitors (new)
Dyn Audio C-1
Mark & Daniel Maxiumus
Mark & Daniel Aragon
Bbchem
Have you had a chance to hear the Mark and Daniel Aragon yet. They say this monitor goes down to 28hz with the bass inhanced stands. I know Stereomojo is doing a review of the Maximus that should be on there website i think later this month. So im very interested in seeing what they have to say about it. Very interesting product. Also I havent read any feedback from how they sounded at the NY show.
Where do you guys find these speakers?! WoW!
Everytime i turn the corner i see something new. I thought i heard about them all. This chario looks like a well built speaker.
Rwwear
very good looking speakers but because they are now discontinued..they don't have any specs on them. what would you compare them to? how low do they go in the bass dept. they have a waf to boot. nice find...
Bbchem
Thats saying quite a bit about the Rubys that you like them even better than the merlin monitors. I know merlin speakers sound better with good tube gear than solid state although the latest versions are more versatile than the earlier models.
I like what im hearing about the Mark & Daniel speakers and dont mind spending a little more for something that will be a true giant killer. I heard one dealer say that he would put the Aragons up against the watt puppy 7s any day. I said what! Now i have to hear them at 1/3 the price of the 7s. Even if they come close to their performance would say a lot for me.

Jaybo and Rwwear
I wish they still made the chario jr's. I emailed the distributor for more info. Would love to hear them to see how i would like the sound. If they sound like a sonus faber i don't know if i would fall in love with the sound. I mean i heard the smaller stradavari cant remember the name at CES 07 and it was pretty good but didnt move me like some other speakers. I like a little punch and listen to jazz fusion, jazz vocals and some pop. I can see where classical would come in great on them. Maybe it was the room or the equipment i heard them on. Just my perception about what i heard at the show.
Rwwear
I think the pair of jrs are gone. There are a pair of i think the mini monitors they make listed. I think i saw them for around 1300 used. I just received an email from a distributor Savant of the Chario. He said they were discontinued however there has been a replacemet. This is his quote:

The Chario Academy 3 has been replaced by the Chario Ursa Major.
Current sale price for a new pair is around $8500 per pair.

I did a search on google and they look pretty nice. I think they go down to around 35hz at -3db. Thats about where i wanna be on a speaker or lower. Now the question is will they sound as good and dynamic as your Academy 3 with the lower octave?