Technics SL1200MK2 Cartridge Discussion

Hi,

I'd like to have a thread on cartridges that work with the Technics SL1200MK series tables.

I want to buy a Technics SL1210MK2 (the new black version from Musicians Friend) and need a cartridge recommendation. I am using a Musical Fidelity A308CR preamp that has MM/MC capability. My amps are Bryston 7B ST's and I have a pair of B&W Signature 800's on the way to replace my N801's. The MF Preamp is rolled off on top and the system is very listenable for long lengths of time. I'd describe it as detailed, but not too bright.

I really want to try the Technics table as it is relaible and inexpensive ($400 shipped or less for a used table if I go the ebay route). Please do not try to talk me into a different table. I had a VPI Scout and Dynavector 20x (High output) that I sold because I just wasn't using it. I'd like to keep this cheap so that I have decent TT available when and if I want to use it.

What can you recommed for a cart? I'd like to keep $160 to $200 as a max and stay lower if possible. Here is what I am considering:

Denon 103 (not the R)
Denon 110
Denon 160

Audio Technica 440 MLa

Shure M97xe

I do not know what carts work well with the Technics tonearm. I know that it is light and some threads recommend a Sumiko headshell for the Denons. What do I need to know here before buying a table and cart.

Thanks.
tigerwoodkhorns

Showing 5 responses by jsmoller

Hello...

I have an SL-1210M5G and 4 cartridges:

Stanton 681EEE MKIII
Shure M97XE
Grado Prestige Gold
Denon DL-160

Each cartridge has less than 50 hours so they are just barely broken-in but my initial feelings are:

Stanton 681EEE - Good. Tracks well. Not using brush. Plays ok but it seems to be subdued and missing brilliance. Decent soundstage. Good midrange response. Maybe too much bass which sounds muddy to me.

Shure M97XE - Good. Tracks well also. A bit more forward than the Stanton. Clear, with a nice soundstage but IMO just missing the mark.

Grado Gold - Excellent. Bright and lively. Handles difficult material well. Well-balanced soundstage. Midrange is smooth. Lets me know about every pop and click in the source material. I DO prefer it over the previous two.

Denon DL-160 - WHOA! Absolutely the biggest soundstage! On several recordings I had to make sure that I wasn't using 5CH surround processing because there were definitely ethereal 3D effects. Some recordings sound like S**T though.

As I said, all of the cartridges are not fully broken-in and their characterics will certainly change a bit over time. I can envision using a different cartridge depending on what genre of musics I am in the mood to play in the evening. All are brand new, not NOS.

I would like to audition the Audio Technica AT440. It seems to gather favourable reviews

Understand this. These cartridges are NOT cheap here in AU. They start at A$200+ I have a small fortune tied up in the four of them. It is a good thing that I am single again, otherwise I would have to endure the b***hing about paying a lot of money for something so small.

My ageing ears 2c worth.

Regards,

Jan
Hello...

I bought one of these:

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR94280

IMO, quite good. You can even display your cartridge/headshell collection on a shelf mounted at eye level and with the plexi/perspex top cover you will get a lot of oohs and ahhs - that is if you have any friends left.

Audiophiles only go out for fast food and more records and accessories - Hahaha!

Regards,

Jan
I use the supplied Technics overhang tool with my 1210M5G which gets me into the ballpark quickly. It is surprisingly accurate. Then I use the protractor for the 1200 series tables that I downloaded and laminated from vinylengine.com for fine tuning. It seems to work well, at least for me.
Tigertwoodkhorns...

WAIT! The best is yet to come. Once the cart/stylus breaks in you will not believe how beautiful the DL-160 sounds with the right recordings. I have about 40 hours on my DL-160 and I have jumped out of my seat more than once hearing sounds that are far beyond the soundstage. They shouldn't be where they came from!

Regards,

Jan
Folks...

Can anyone quantify the improvement with the KAB fluid damper? Will my 54 year old ears be able to hear the difference on my SL-1210M5G with a DL-160. Right now the combo sounds great to me w/o the KAB mod. I have a thick Technics rubber mat, record weight and the standard M5G headshell.

And NO... I will NOT give up the DL-160!

Regards,

Jan