technics sl 1200 gae

is there anyone in America who mods this deck to the level of the English timestop evo sl1200? it's great for rock 45's but how do you drag more finesse out of it for lp's
theoriginalthor1

Showing 10 responses by tzh21y

Chakster is right.  if you want a set it and forget it table, the G is great.  if you are interested in different arms as different arms do work better with certain cartridges and can get a deal on an older sp-10, that would be an excellent option.  If you want to just listen to your collection and are not worried about other arms, maybe like MM cartridges and want arguably the  best motor design currently available, the G is great and does sound great with MC carts. as well.
In my experience, the issue people have with the G is run in. they take a while. Longer than many but you will be rewarded. I would not do it.
vpi make s decent tables, the only thing I do not like is their arms.  They are okay, I think the technics is better.
I have never seen these so called deals on vintage tables.  After you factor in the arm and the plinth and so on, you are getting up there.  The thing is, look at a sp10 M2 or the Luxman, add the lets say Low mass technics 10 inch arm, and your way over 4K.  with the 1200GAE, you get the new arm, which is probably not as good as the Boron/titanium arm but you get the new motor and, well a new table with new motor.  Many of them offer no return, so what if something is not right, now lets say you have to put another grand into it, well, you get my idea.  The same thing with these older arms.  unless you can actually see the arm for yourself, make sure the bearing are ok, its a crapshoot.  Your never really sure of what you are getting.
i do not doubt the quality, just the price I have not seen the Luxman for 2k
I have never seen those kind of deals with plinth and all.  maybe if you purchased a while ago, deals could be had. 
the PD-444 does look very interesting except it would not fit on many stands.  Its over 26 inches long.  
one thing that I found that lends to more transparency better bass, and more of ease to the music is to adhere the mat to the platter.  I have used transparent tape to the bottom of my boston audio mat it has made a difference.