Technics 1200G VS VPI Prime Signature

Has anyone specifically compared these two turntables? Longevity plays a role here, but ultimately SQ is paramount. Aesthetically the Prime Signature (rosewood) is a beautiful looking table. Thinking about either table with Van Den Hul Grail, and VDH DDTII special. I have heard nothing but good things about Technics 1200G.  I have heard of some QC issues with VPI. The simplicity of the Technics unit is also a plus. Any input about this will be appreciated...
jakesnak

Showing 2 responses by displayname

The VPI definitely can be made to outperform the Technics, but that is not true right out of the box and not everyone has the patience or the money to go that route.
This is very helpful. I'm not currently in the market, but always window shopping and looking towards the future. 

I love the look of the new VPI Prime 21+, but I'm torn if I'd enjoy constantly tweaking. Right now I really enjoy how minimally I need to do anything with my Mofi Ultradeck. I certainly don't mind a lengthy initial set up, and maintaining things annually (give take), but I don't want to feel like I need to mess with it on a weekly basis. Knowing that the VPI doesn't really beat the 1200G out of the box feels like maybe that table might be a better long term fit in my life. 
Technics will kill it with the right cartridge for this tonearm right out of the box.
So I know Technics originally showcased the 1200G with the 2M Black, but I'd be interested in what carts might be the best match. Also curious if any of the 1200G's "best" would also be a good match on the VPI Prime arm. Do they have any overlap, or different enough designs that it's generally not a great match for both arms.