TAS's recommended speakers under 2500

Earlier this year, "The Absolute Sound" magazine began a new feature called "Centerstage", which is their new format for recommended components. The "Centerstage" feature in the current issue contains their recommended speakers under $2500.

Their recommendations are grouped into 5 classes, with Class 1 being the "state-of-the-art" (within the stated price range), and ranging down to Class 5, which "offer a fair taste of high-end sound at the most affordable prices". I have summarized the ratings for those who may be interested (speakers are listed alphabetically, not by ranking within the class).

Class 1 ("state-of-the-art" within the price range):
1. Harbeth HL Compact 7 ES-2 (MSRP $2400)
2. Infinity Intermezzo (MSRP $2200)
3. MartinLogan Scenario (MSRP $2000) -- a "Best Buy" rating
4. Spendor SP-1/2 (MSRP $2495) -- a "Best Buy" rating
5. Thiel CS1.6 (MSRP $2390) -- a "Best Buy" rating

Class 2:
1. Aerial Acoustics Model 5 (MSRP $1800-2200, depending on finish)
2. Audio Physic Yara (MSRP $1500)
3. Magnepan MG 1.6 (MSRP $1495) -- a "Best Buy" rating
4. Sonus Faber Concerto (MSRP $1895)
5. Vandersteen 2Ce (MSRP $1400) -- a "Best Buy" rating

Class 3:
1. Definitive Technology Power Monitor 700 (MSRP $1200) -- a "Best Buy" rating
2. Harbeth HL-P3ES-2 (MSRP $1100)
3. PSB Image 5T (MSRP $800) -- a "Best Buy" rating
4. Polk Audio LSi-15 (MSRP $1740)
5. Spendor S-3/5 (MSRP $895)
6. Snell Acoustics K.5 Mk2 (MSRP $1200)
7. Totem Arro (MSRP $1100) -- a "Best Buy" rating

Class 4:
1. B&W 602.5 S3 (MSRP $700)
2. Dahlquist QX-6 (MSRP $500)
3. Paradigm Monitor 5 (MSRP $520) -- a "Best Buy" rating
4. Snell QBX 20 (MSRP $750)

Class 5:
1. Acoustic Energy Aego 2 (MSRP $399) -- a "Best Buy" rating
2. PSB Alpha B (MSRP $199) -- a "Best Buy" rating
3. Paradigm Atom (MSRP $189) -- a "Best Buy" rating

Comments (pro or con), anyone?

sdcampbell

Showing 2 responses by kthomas

I understand why the mags do this, but I have to admit that I'm really tired of the whole concept of component ratings. I'd be a lot more interested if they rated them in a matrix, with a bunch of categories including build quality, visual appeal, soundstage depth, soundstage width, etc. etc. (and if they could then avoid the massive temptation to total the ratings into the Grand Total rating to linearize everything). There are so many speakers in this price category that they don't rate, based on not having reviewed them (fair enough) that it can be really misleading. They stress in every review how system synergy is so important, you have to listen for yourself, in your own room, etc., and then they give simplified ratings for the products they review. Oh well, it doesn't hurt anybody.....Kirk
The Road and Track matrices were what I was thinking of as well when I suggested a set of ratings for speakers - it's really easy to look at the R&T ratings and understand a lot more about the things that are most important. There hasn't been much uptake on the question you raise, and this is in no way comprehensive, but some of the ratings I would suggest include: Build Quality (medium) Placement Flexibility (medium) Acceptability for putting in your Living Room (modest) Bass performance (high) Mid-range performance (high) Treble performance (high) Soundstage Width Soundstage Depth Width of "sweet spot" I'm sure there are many many more, but this is the type of thing I was thinking of. -Kirk