Swiss Precision/ The story of Thorens TD 124

I just finished reading this book and I am really amazed by the quality of the journalistic and technical overview of this turntable and all of the other "foreign rivals", Lenco, Garrard, Connoisseur, Rek-O-Kut, Empire, EMT,... and so valuable information about restoration and maintenance of vintage turntables that IMHO it is a very recommended reading for all of us turntable lovers.
Of course it has to be taken with a grain of salt because it is written by and for devoted passionates, but it is still the first book I know that is so well done about turntables. If you read it, your comments are welcome...
Jean.
jloveys
It's not too often that I get excited about a book, but this one has certainly done it for me. A very interesting and informative read that documents the history we so often overlook in our hobby today. Nevertheless this book does come full circle and brings us to the "new renaissance" of vintage tables. Today's engineering, precision and current thinking - mated with tonearms from the "golden age of analog" - and turntables from the past. Who would think the results could be as exceptional as they are?

I'm obviously in the vintage camp. since nothing on the market today comes close to the "cool factor" of these classic tables. Properly done , they sound almost as good as the best of current offerings at a fraction of the price.

Sorry to digress. This book is an excellent, high quality historical and technical resource. Martin Bastin, Jurg Schopper and a few of the modern day afficionados (experts) are featured near the end of the book. There is some brief discussion of their modifications and upgrades that make these tables world class. Well worth the price and I hope sales are high, so Joachim Bung may find the time to spend in England to document the Garrards.
The authors name is Jachim Bung and he can be reached at [email protected]. The price is 81 Euro's, which includes shipping to the US.

The book was reviewed in stereophile.

http://stereophile.com/reference/408swiss/
hi

so who is the author and what are his contact details?

btw, how expensive is "not inexpensive" :)
I've had my copy over a year now. It's not an inexpensive book to buy, but the hardbound binding is very good quality and the information within is beyond value for anyone who digs the TD124.

I should note that even though I helped to advertise this English language edition by allowing a page for it on my website, I paid full price for my copy. I'd buy it again if I somehow lost my copy.

-Steve

ps: I got my copy direct from the author.
I just ordered two copies of this book, one for myself and one for my father who still has his TD 124 purchased in 1966 (with an Ortofon tonearm).

Based on the reviews, and having perused several pages of the book online, it looks very interesting - I can't wait to read it!

FYI - I ordered directly from the author, which I believe may be the only way to get a copy.