SW-800 Subs & CLS's

After much searching I have a line on a mint pair of Kinergetics SW-800 Reference sub-woofers (twin towers with 5 ten inch long throw drivers on each side). These were specifically designed for my Martin Logan CLS's -- a mini Statement in its day. These are the second generation with a single crossover device (the originals had dual 300 watt monoblocks/crossovers). Does anyone out there have any experience with these? Concerns... the speakers are virtually un-used, but they were designed with SEAS paper woofers (less mass to move quickly with the CLS's). Do these deteriorate even though un-used and in the original packaging (we're talking 5 or 6 years old)? Also, the reviews stated that these subs will ruthlessly reveal the quality of the amps driving them (unusual for subs). Unfortunately, the only spare amp I have these days is an old Adcom GFA555. Any recommendations? Should I stick with the obvious choice of solid state? If so, what? I'm using tubes for the CLS's with great results. Lastly, the subs have a nominal impedance of 1.6 ohms -- great match for the CLS ;-). Thanks in advance.
jim

Showing 1 response by mig007

I have the same setup as you with the one difference being i use the crossover in my meridian 568 instead of the kinergistics one; i cannot comment on the question of construction material, but i do disagree with the 1st response; i never found adcom amps adequate for driving difficult loads such as martin logans; i would suggest an amp known for that trait like arragon, or mccormick dna's; i'm using an aragon 4004 mk ii for the subs and mccormick dna 1 monoblocks for the cls; by the way, i believe cls and sw800 combo is as good as it gets as far as the sound and cost