Svetlana KT88 VS EH6550

Am needing to retube my SF Power 3 SE's. It came with Svetlana KT88's which do sound good but I have heard that the EH6550 tubes are supposed to be very good as well as more reliable. (One of my KT88's just blew a resistor)

Any feedback on the comparison of these tubes will be appreciated.
128x128dmailer

Showing 4 responses by saxo

How old were the Svetlanas? Many people have no problem with them in SF Power amps. I have used the EH6550 in a Power 2 and think they sounded pretty good. You might try the new EH KT88 tubes. Kinda halfway between the Svet. KT88 & the EH6550 in sonics with the best bass of all.
Dmailer, did you send amp to SF to repair? If so, I guess they told you not to use KT88. Interesting that SF put them in their SE versions if they consider them unreliable. How do they explain that away?

I thought the SF amps were very reliable, but lately a salesperson who used to sell lots of them told me that they were not reliable. Wonder what others experience is?
Forgot to mention that it could have just been a bad tube. If the tube is bad it will blow the resistor. Doesn't mean the amp is bad design.
You might try the new EH KT88's. A lot of people like them, and some are saying they are superior to the Svetlana KT88 -- but you know how opinions go. I wonder if Kevin Deal has tried them yet.