SUT - electrical theory and practical experience

Some vinyl users use a SUT to enhance the signal of the MC cartridge so that it can be used in the MM input of a phono stage.  Although I don't understand the theory behind it, I realize that a SUT should be matched individually to a particular cartridge, depending on the internal impedance of the MC, among other things.  

Assuming an appropriately / ideally matched SUT and MC, What are the inherent advantages or disadvantages of inserting a SUT after the MC in the audio chain?  Does the SUT theoretically enhance or degrade the sound quality?  What does the SUT actually do to the sound quality? 

Thanks. 

drbond

Thanks Lew. Yes, there is a MM input. I wasn’t sure if the transformers in the Allnic were being used in the same role as a SUT plays. And yes, it is my understanding that Allnic hand builds the transformers and uses permalloy cores, which seem preferable to those with SUT experience/expertise.

I guess there is no harm in borrowing one to try but given that good SUTs are quite pricey (for a passive device), there would need to be a decent audible improvement for me to keep one in my system.

Adding the SUT that is most attractive to one's unique preference is more the discovery to be made than the adding the right SUT.

Matching the SUT to the Cart' is only one sector to be a consideration.

SUT's add a Coloration to a presentation, it is a case of how 'Rich in Tone' is ones threshold able to entertain before it becomes a repellant and how much of a compromise to the overall performance is the presence of Richness to have.

Lovely Deep Rich Tones are easily able to suppress Upper Mid' and High Frequencies and completely paste over the details in a recording. 

My preferred SUT's only add a hint of a Rich Tone and are not too far from the effects a Head Amp can have.

The Link has a Thread which is produced by an individual I trust, and have direct dialogue with via email on the subject of SUT's quite a few years past.

Not too long ago, I learnt that this individual favours the Ikeda Ist-201 as their 'go to' SUT, (this may have changed in recent times).

The Ikeda is able to be acquired for a similar price as the Luna, the Ikeda is also seen as a used item occasionally, so a few ££££'s can be saved. 

SUT's are a voyage of discovery, I wish you a safe journey.

Thanks for the link and the commentary. I guess the first step is to borrow one that is ballpark the “right” one (I think windings ratio is the spec) and see if it wows me. I did try the Allnic SUT into an EAR 868pl MM input but was underwhelmed. But that was one cartridge ago. Maybe that would just replicate the sound of the H-3000 anyway.

My experience is that I can use a LOMC direct into the MM Stage, the Volume needs to be maximum, but the presentation to my description is very Rich and not as I like it.

I can also use a In-Built MC Stage and have lots of adjustment from the controls offered on a much liked MM/MC Phon'.

I can also use a SUT or Head Amp' on either of the Phon's in use.

I have found a SQ that really appeals, and can play around with it a little, the flexibility is also part of the attraction.

A SUT or Head Amp' is also a option on a SS Phon' with both MM/MC Inputs.

I have heard the MC Stage bettered or able to produce a SQ more to my liking on a SS Phon' with a SUT and Head Amp' used on the MM Input.  

Thanks o_holter. I believe your right I never got the settings right on the ASR. Didnt quite understand the loading/gain thing back then to be honest (still dont).
Finally got a new phono preamp though (schiit mani 2) and it was a great improvement using the AU340 SUT into the mani MM stage with 42 db gain. Everything kinda opened up and better punchy sound, better dynamics with zero noise/hum/buzz added. No coloration and that I also like a lot. 
I did try the Manis MC stage with 60db gain and 200ohm loading. Sounded nice but I no longer quite recognized the DL-103. The clean, dead silent, natural and organic sound Ive become used to with the SUT was gone. The Mani MC also picked up more vinyl noise (crackling etc etc) when compared to the AU-340 that seems to mask record imperfections really well. Maybe more engaging sound with the Mani, I think thats a matter of personal preference and the rest of the setup. This is really not a fair comparison at all (mani being very low budget) but it at least confirms my believe that you need to spend much more than 150 usd to beat a SUT.

Anyways, I asked myself before how much my ”new” receivers built in MM phono was holding the sound back? And how important is the MM stage when using a SUT? In my case it made huge difference even with a low budget preamp like the Mani. Know theres always room for improvement but this I can stick with for some time. 

Am soooo curious trying the Kenwood SH-305MC, anyone with experience?