Surround pre quality

I am expecting the new Oppo BDP-83 soon. I plan on using the dvd player for processing the audio and the analog outputs into a receiver or processor. If I am not using one of these for the processing does the quality of the unit make that much difference? I have a Rotel RSX-1055 receiver that has 5.1 inputs would that sound close to a Rotel 968 Lexicon, MC4 or Krell Soundstage? I won't be using the internal amps of the receiver. I also don't care about the 2-channel performance, I have a separate pre for that.
Thanks
Jeff
jdodmead

Showing 5 responses by jimmy3993

Hi folks. Rather than start a new thread, this one seems pretty close to my question.
I am pretty new to all of this. My apologies in advance if this is a question better posed somewhere else.

I am about 50/50 ht to 2ch but have been less picky about ht set up. In part I think because I find blu ray so captivating that I haven’t felt the need to try and improve on what comes out of a ps3 via hdmi.

What I am curious about now is the world of ht pre/pros. My 2ch listening is all digital and I would love to not need a separate 2ch pre and 2ch dac.

Are there multi ch pre/pros out there with quality dac sections and hdmi inputs and outputs that are considered to present 2ch digital content well?

The other choice would be to invest in a high quality multi format player like the Ayre but it seems to me that if I am going to have that high quality dac stage and output that I would want to use it with as many sources as possible.
Jeff - Looks like the current integra 9.8 or 9.9. Are they similar? Let me know how you like it once you get it up and running.
What kind of sources will you be using and how will you connect everything?
Thanks. I read the reviews. I would love to hear your feedback as well. I am considering the exact set up (oppo when I can get one) via hdmi.
Will you be using the oppo for redbook as well? If so, let me know what you think.
All of the sources thaat i use (Sonos and Integra multi format player) could be sent directly to the pre/pro. If the digital pre/pro was up to the task, I would no longer need my 2ch pre and my benchmark dac which would pretty much pay for the integra 9.8 and the oppo...
Jdod-
That helps. Thx.
And I think that the cable co has the nuforce in their demo program.
Once I get this oppo player settled in, I will give it a try.