Surge protection for amps?

I keep reading that we should plug our amps directly into the socket and skip conditioners. What about surge protection? Living here in FL has me nervous plugging my Halo amp and new KEF LS50 Wireless speakers directly into the wall. What's everyone doing for protection that doesn't effect sound negatively?
asahitoro
Furman's are great, and inexpensive. SurgeX are good and pricey! :)

I have two Furman's, one with LiFT and one without, and I can tell the difference. LiFT works.

One side effect of all these series protectors: they are low-pass noise filters with a -3dB point around 3kHz. That's really awesome considering most strips don't / can't work until 100kHz or so.

Best,

E
I’m using an Environmental Potentials EP-2050. Many positive reviews and industry proven results, plus improves the sound of your whole system and protects the whole house.  I also use a Emotiva CMX-2 DC Blocker for the problem DC on my line for my preamp.  These two components are a great combo.

Everything else I've tried has killed dynamics in my system...
I think I’m going to look at the whole house option. I just need to figure out which one is best for my needs. 
Effective protector does not do protection.  Best protectors connect low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to what actually and harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules.  Single point earth ground.  All four words have electrical significance.

Lightning (just one of many surges) can be 20,000 amps.  So a minimal 'whole house' protector is 50,000 amps.  Since MOVs do not degrade for decades when properly sized (when more of your money goes into the protector and not into profit margins).  Near zero protectors degrade or even fail catastrophically so that naive consumers will recommend it and buy more.

Conditioners such as Furman or series mode filters such as Surgex have numbers that 'protect' from surges too tiny to overwhelm superior protection inside appliances.  Worse, some plug-in boxes may even compromise that existing and robust protection.  Plug-in protectors also must be protected by a properly earthed 'whole house' solution.

50,000 amps defines protector life expectancy over many surges.   Protection during each surge is defined by a low impedance (ie hardwire has no sharp bends) connection to earth.  How do make that protection even more effective?  Upgrade earth ground and its connection.    A protector is only as effective as its earth ground - that ineffective and lesser protectors (with a large profit margin) will not discuss.

I too use the brick wall ,which  works very well 
And for $270 ask for audio version.
In Stereophile rated class -B   in recommended component's 
Against a $1500 unit it was a tie. That is what I call a bargain.
Works well? How many other appliances, not on a Brickwall, are destroyed? Since a potentially destructive surge never happened, then it works well? If it works well, then a furnace, dimmer switches, dishwasher, door bell, LED and CFL bulbs, central air, clocks, all GFCIs, and smoke detectors are damaged. Or a reality exists. What a Brickwall does remains completely unknown. It protected from what?. It does not claim to protect from typically destructive transients; once specification numbers are read.