Suggestions for New/Used amp under $3500

My System : Von Schweikert Unifield 2 speakers. Preamp outputs from a Denon 3311ci receiver. Room size is small (12x 15 x 8) but opens up into dining and kitchen. Possibility of moving into a larger space so headroom is desirable.

Planning to order a couple of amps and keep the one i like. Ability to drive center channel also would be a nice (but not mandatory). New or used does not matter.

Wondering if i can do better than Channel Islands Audio d200 mk2 monoblock pair.

Based on reviews and recommendations i have considered the following options:
- Emotivas
- Odyssey
- parasound
- butler audio
roxito

Showing 1 response by rlwainwright

I currently have an Emo XPA-5 and used to have a Butler TDB-5150 - both are multi-channel amps. The Butler sounded very, very good with a nice, smooth sound and pretty good "grunt".

The Emo that replaced it - I needed money, sigh - is a really good amp. It has lots of drive, great bottom end, and is very punchy. It *is* a bit more sibilant than the Butler, but I'm not sure which one is "correct". The Emo demonstrated noticeable sibilance when I first got it, but it seems to have been tamed quite a bit with extended run-in. For the money, it is a *terrific* amp.

You may find that Emo's XPR series of amps are exactly what you are looking for. Or, perhaps, their XPA-1L which is a Class A design for the 1st 35 watts and then switches to AB. Since they come with a 30 day in-home trial, why not order them and see if they perform up to snuff in your system?

-RW-