Suggestions for DAC auditions - upgrade from HRT III+?

I'm quite happy with my current setup with a Musical Paradise MP-301 MK 3, Triode Labs Vivace Mini (3" single driver), HSU sub, and i-Mac w/ HRT III+ DAC.  

However, time marches on with DAC improvements, and there are many newer models out.  I don't care about anything except playing my CD collection through the DAC.  Current high-res compatibility is fine, but I'm not really looking for that.  I need USB in and RCA out - no volume control needed.

My goal is realistic tone and more musical vs clinical detail.  

What have you heard or are you using that might tempt me to trade up from my trusty HRT?  Price - under $1,200...

Thanks in advance!
128x128leahy

Showing 1 response by ejr1953

Leahy,

If I were you, I'd hold off making a move to a new DAC for a few months.

The main reason is that it looks like MQA is getting some positive traction in the marketplace.  Tidal started streaming "Masters" from Warner Music about two months ago, they have about 1000 titles available on their app.

A few weeks ago Universal Music signed on to a multi-year agreement to provide MQA (Beatles, Stones, U2, Lady Gaga, etc etc).

Only a few DAC manufacturers have taken "the plunge" and incorporated "end-to-end" MQA decoding into their hardware.  I suspect that, with Universal Music joining the MQA world, more will need to take that "plunge" in the near future.

MQA is not very well understood.  It has two main benefits, #1) delivering high res files in a small package and #2) "de-blurring", reducing the "pre-ringing" ("digital sound").  Though #1 can be done in software, to me, the real sonic benefit of MQA is #2 and the only way to get that is to have a DAC that does "end-to-end" decoding.