Subwoofer: How low should I go?

My B&W 683s are rated at 38Hz - 22kHz.

I've been toying with the idea of a small subwoofer to augment the low end a bit. My apartment is pretty tiny, and in a crowded NYC building so I don't have room for a big sub and don't need or want earth shaking bass, just a little more oomph.

The sub I've been looking at is the Velodyne Microvee. It fits the bill size wise. But it's rated at 38–120 Hz.

My question is, do those numbers mean the sub covers exactly the same low end as my speakers, making it useless? Do I need to go with a lower frequency sub to hear a difference?

Thanks!
rkny

Showing 2 responses by rodman99999

YES: Eldartford has an excellent and correct point concerning the improvements a sub can have on your system. That's providing the subwoofer system has a means of subtracting the freqencies it's reproducing from the mains(especially if it relieves the main amps as well). I've been actively bi-amping for years(pro and home) for those reasons, but never used an add on like the Velodynes. Do they incorporate a crossover to relieve the mains?
If he were to go with a down-firing woofer: he could always park it on a nice, flat slab of granite. Easy to find, and fairly non-resonant.