Subwoofer for under $1000-new, used, or DIY

I listen to mostly rock and classical. The sub would be for music only- no HT. I have GMA Europas, a Redgum 120 wpc int. amp and Audio Note tube CD player. I like my system very much, but it could use a little more oomph. My room is small (15x12x10). I've never had a sub before.

I have read about Hsu, ACI, SVS, Sunfire, Rel, Def. Tech., Totem, Titanic, Vandersteen, Rava, lots of DIY models, and a lot of others I can't think of at the moment. Frankly, it's all become a blur.

I am not a "bass freak", but do appreciate the low end of the musical spectrum. I won't say size is no object (smaller would be better), but of course sound quality is more important.

If you've owned or even heard any of the above subs (or any other in the price range) I would really appreciate hearing from you. Any comments or advice from my fellow 'goners (hmm..that didn't sound quite right) would be great. Thanks to all in advance.
xrayz

Showing 2 responses by gmood1

The Europas are terrific speakers! Some added bottom end definitely won't hurt. What ever you decide make sure it's a sealed sub. You have plenty to choose from. For your room size I would look at 10 inch sealed designs. Something with a 150 to 250 watt amplifier plate. I wouldn't run the Europas through the subwoofer's crossovers. This too me would be going backwards. Since the magic in these speakers lay within the simple crossovers. Just do some research and listening..the sub your looking for will reveal itself.There's plenty of subs that fit this description that are new for under $500.
Here's one to add to your list. It uses 10" high excursion XBL^2 driver (XBL^2 patented by Adire Audio). Here' a link Acoustic Visions MRS-10 . This little guy should fit in your room nicely and it's small enough to add a second unit without space considerations. Just something to confuse you a bit more..LOL!