Studio Acoustic Tiles/Panels for listening room?

How come I rarely hear about people using these for their sound systems? Won't paneling all 4 walls + ceiling + back of your door, of your listening room with acoustic tiles do wonders to your sound? E.g. aurally expanding the size of your room, etc.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
benny
atzen811

Showing 1 response by atzen811

The room where my rig sits is an acoustic disaster. 14 feet long (speakers are here), 11 feet wide (where I sit to listen), and 8 feet high. The right wall is mostly a giant sliding glass picture window. The right has a passageway which goes on 5 feet to open up to the sink and vanity mirror, and then further on another 5 feet is the toilet.
The left wall ends up in a door, which I keep closed when I listen to music. Essentially, the room is an inverted "L" when the door is closed, and an inverted "U" when the door is open.

Will getting a set of RoomTunes help here?
Note that I cannot move anything around substantially because of living constraints. The speakers are Mission Freedom 753 and are 2 feet from the wall, 11 inches from the rear wall (Mission recommends at least 9 inches). I was thinking of getting two lengths of Iranian carpet, 3 feet wide and 7 feet long, and hanging them behind each speaker, in addition to the RoomTunes.

When I do the "clap-test" I do hear an echo.
Basically, I have a huge mid-bass hump in the room.

I have 2 framed art prints mounted (no glass) on wood on the left wall, which I kind of converted into quasi-panels by spot-gluing cotton balls in the hollow area of the rear of the frame. The 1st panel is 3 feet wide by 4.5 feet long, and the 2nd is 3 feet wide, by 2 feet long. Both frames are rigidly mounted at a distance of 3 inches from the wall.

Thank you for your valuable advice.

P.S. Bufus, thanks for the trick on finding the 1st order reflection. I try it tomorrow