Streamers

I apologize upfront for my naivety...

I see a lot of listing for streamers on here, reviews in Stereophile, TAS, etc, and I’m interested.

MY QUESTION: Is there any benefit using a streamer i.e. Auralic Aries (or any other), if you can connect your computer directly to your DAC? I know I’m missing something here, probably

Currently my iMac is connected directly to my DAC, via USB with a Wyred Recovery in the chain. I think it sounds great. All my digital files are on a hard drive, connected to the iMac. I use Audirvana to manage it all, and to use Tidal. iPad as remote.

Tell me all the things I don’t know!

128x128robelvick

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

The OP asks if there is any benefit to using a streamers  when he can connect his pc to a DAC.
  I have done both the Mac and DAC route and used a streamer.  The functionality is the same.  It's a convenience issue.  A streamer will incorporate many of the steps required to make the pc route work and provide an interface.  
  I found the streamer works better for me.  I'm almost 60 and IT just isn't my thing.  My job is filled with IT issues and frustrations and when I relax with music at home and I don't want any additional.  I could make the Mac and DAC work (it's my back up if anything happens to a streamer) but I hate the hassle.  A streamer works like any Audio Component.  PCs always feel like, well, computers that have been added to the Audio System.
  There are theoretical reasons why streamers should sound better.
Computers have a lot of other functions that generate digital noise.  PCs tend to be limited to USB which are the weak link for most DACs.  Those issues are secondary, though as there are workarounds and PC Audio can sound excellent.
  It depends on your comfort zone.  If PCs don't drive you batty and you have good Computer literacy then you may not need a streamer. 
If you want something that feels more like an Audio Component and is easier to use you might like a streamer

I use I use the Bluesound Vault2 and the Node2 in another system.  I use the wired options but not from the router.  I use the gizmos that attach to the Power Mains.  The main downside is the theoretical issue of polluted mains power interfering with the signal but I think it's a lot of High End hooey because it sounds great.  The Bluesound can be used wirelessly but I've had issues with my wireless so I prefer the wired, and going through the mains eliminates running Ethernet cables around the house.
i would recommend starting with the Node 2, well within your budget, but there should be some good choices for under a grand