Starting over

I recently had to sell my "last" system. The whole thing, due to financial reasons. I am starting over at a much more modest price point. My last speakers were B&W N802's, driven my a Mac 352. Now I'm looking to spend a $1,000 or so. Any suggestions would be would be great.
larryrosen
The shanling is way too weak for anything but the most efficient speakers. Going with any of the Music Halls will get a lot more power and you can get a class A amp which will get you a lot of warmth. I've seen them used for $500-700. 50 watts will drive most speakers.
Headphones are the way to go, without a doubt. I like the Sennheiser HD600s ($350) or the HD650s ($450) and the Pro-Ject Headbox SEII ($300) amp. Then get yourself an iPod or a computer with a decent soundcard, anything that gives you a pure output, use lossless music files, and you will be stunned at how good it is.

I also have the N802 and those $350 headphones hold up really well against them.
One way to start over for less than $1000 is to go with the Fatman - iTube - Stereo Integrated Amp w/iPod dock. You get a tube hybrid integrated amp with 13 watts per channel and an iPod dock. Audio Advisor has these on sale for $400 w/o speakers, and $500 with speakers. Add an iPod, a pair of small monitors (if you don't go with the "with speakers" choice that Fatman offers) of your choosing and/or a set of headphones, and you should have a MUCH better than average sounding iPod based system. Down the road when you finances improve, then the Fatman system would make great second system in a bedroom or office enviroment.
I went the heaphone route when I had to get rid of the main rig due to twin boys arriving. Got the Senn 650's and a Mier Audio Corda Aria amp w/ the built in USB DAC. I have to say I have been pretty happy with the it so far. May try going with a tube amp and separate DAC at some point as the sound is a bit thin for my taste but, it does satisfy the craving.

Got the Senn's used for $250 in mint condition.
Bought he Mier new for around retail