Starting from scratch and say $5000

my original post (written, edited, then lost to the cloud) was: "Will I regret selling my McIntosh gear"  I will let it remain in the netherworld and rephrase as above. Truth is I bought an MC2155, C33, and XRT 18 speakers about 15 years ago but because of moves and family stuff, never got a chance to deploy them until this last fall when we became an empty nesters (not the speakers; bad surrounds). Lugging the heavy McIntosh amp told me I needed to sell it because I expect to be moving again soon and it is just too much of a beast that I'm also afraid to damage. But now that it is playing I am enjoying it, even driving mediocre 90s Acoustic Research AR208 speakers I had previously dismissed until hearing them with the MC power. Anyway. contemplating a completely new system to be financed with the sale of the Mc gear and even though I know this is an absolutely unanswerable newbie question, I need the therapy of talking about it to get any sort of orientation in the hundreds of brands and technologies of today. So here goes: I would like to put together a pre+amp+speakers somewhere around $7000 and have no idea where to start.

thanks in advance and apologies for such a vague question. details can follow

ps I like the sound signature of the mc but don't really know anything better; curious about class D. used is fine but not so much vintage unless it is still a value/performance contender. I like diy and projects but hitting 60 next year and starting to value my time in early (unplanned) retirement 

kidcreole123

Showing 1 response by charliech

Just to throw it out.... I would look at:

• Magnepan .7s at ~$2000
  • D-Sonic  M3a-800S Stereo Amplifier (400x2 into 8 Ohms but stable down to 2) at ~$1475
  • MiniDSP SHD (Streamer, pre-amp, DAC, lots of DSP options for bass management) at ~$1299
  • SVS SB2000 Pro - ~$899

Total Price ~$5673.00

This is all priced as new and I think you'd have a very nice sounding system.  Add a subscription to Qobuz and a NAS with your own CD rips and you'd have tons of music at your fingertips.  

The issues with the above suggestion are:

• MiniDSP SHD can be a great streamer/preamp, especially if you want to use custom crossovers for managing a single or dual subwoofers.  It even comes with DIRAC I think if you wanted to use room correction.  But it would not be as "plug and play" as a traditional preamp.
  • In addition, the MiniDSP SHD only has one analog input so you'd be limited on your sources.  You could add a turntable and just use that as well as streaming.  It does have a few digital inputs, though.
  • The MiniDSP SHD would probably convert a turntables analog signal into digital so if that bothers you, it's not a good choice.
  • You'd need a phono preamp to add a turntable, either built into the turntable or external.  Schiit makes one for about $150 I think.  
  • You'd need a room that has space to support the Magnepans.  Generally they sound best when you can bring them out into the room a few feet.  So if your listening room is shared with other things, maybe not the most convenient option?
  • You'd have to like Magnepan speakers.
  • You don't need the sub.  But, then again, you may want two.  Just depends on if the Maggies satisfy your bass requirements.
  • You'd have to like the DAC in the MiniDSP SHD.  It is apparently very good but some people feel strongly about their DACs
  • The MiniDSP SHD uses Volumio as the streaming software.  I've used SONOS and BlueOS but not Volumio so I can't give you any opinion on how user friendly that software is.

FYI, right now I'm using a SONOS Port into a Schiit Modi3 with each channel going into the input of an SVS sub and then running the output of the SVS sub into one of johntwo D-Sonic mono power amps into some Maggie MMGs.  Sounds good to me.  I do have some 1.7s on order and will probably replace the Port with that MiniDSP SHD in the near future.

Good luck!