Spend my $8,000 pt. 2

A rehash of some previous threads so I apologize, but I'd love some help!

Need a pre/power and phono-stage (HO MC or MM) for my system system (Sony SCD-1, Totem Forests, MH MMF 7--soon to be VPI Aries 2--variety of cables), have about $8,000. I'm auditioning:

Integrateds:
Plinius 9200 (no balanced inputs!)
BAT VK-300XSE (bad phono?)
Sim i-7 (no phono!)
JRDG Concerto (bad phono/digital?)
Accustic Arts Power 1(no phono/underpowered?)

OR

Preamplifier:
Aesthtix Janus (tube--too warm?)
Ayre K1xe (over my budget!)

I know I'm picky, and I know I need to make a compromise: I either need a killer Integrated, which doesn't sacrifice too much to separates, and add a good phono stage; or, I need a preamp with a killer phono stage and find it a good power amp. Given these choices which do you think entails less of a sacrifice?

I'm also having trouble getting first-hand opinions on any of the phono sections of the components above that have them onboard. I hear the 9200 phono-stage is actually good, but only from a poster who doesn't use it. The BAT seems to get tepid reactions. Apparently no one in the _world_ owns the JRDG Concerto with the phono stage. People love the Aesthetix Calypso and the Rhea Phono, but I can't find many opnions on the Janus. Any first hand experience with these phono stages?

I only have room for two boxes. I'm not looking for lush/warm tube sound, just something accurate, neutral, with pin-point accuracy and great imaging...sheesh, I want it all! The Aesthetix at $6500 means I'll need to buy a temp. amp used and then save for something better, which I'm not adverse to. I want something that will stave off the upgrade bug and mate well with sources and speakers higher up the food chain, since I know my SCD-1 and Forests aren't the final word (for me at least). Help!

And just think, soon you get to help me pick either a phono stage or a power amp. Oh Joy!

Thanks a ton!
mimberman

Showing 2 responses by dgplo

I remember your quandry, I'm in the same boat. I just recently heard the Chord 2600 -- a very sweet sounding integrated which has the most open sound for an integrated I have heard. Very tubelink for solid state with a big soundstage, lots of depth and very musical. Sorry to add one more amp to the mix, but if you can find one used, about 3k, you will have an amp that can last you years. It is 120 wpc into 8 and 170 wpc into 4 ohm load, very stable, no phono stage.

I heard the plinius hooked up to a pair of proc speakers, the chord as well. The chord made the plinius' soundstage sound compressed. The chord has such an extremely open presentation that it is never fatiguing. I am looking at buying an integrated and my search is over.

If you want to see a review, check out this link:

http://www.avguide.com/product/Receivers,_Tuners,_and_Integrated_Amps/Stereo_Receivers_Integrated_Amplifiers/Chord_USA_-_Bluebird_Music_Ltd./CPM_2600/3174.jsp?product=3174

It is from the Absolute Sound, from March/April

Good luck.
re: last post -- saw you are an art dealer, you will love the look of the Chord...