Spectron Audio Out Of Business?

Hi All,

Has anyone had any contact with Spectron Audio over the last few months? I have an amp of theirs that needs repair and it seems they do not answer emails or either of their phones. You can’t even leave a phone message.

Can anyone out there suggest a technician in Los Angeles who might be able to repair a Spectron Musician amp?

Thanks.
128x128brettmcee
I knew John and Toni well.  Sad that they both passed away.  Then Simon took over and kept the business running.  Manh is our only hope for repair.  I cannot seem to reach him either.  So.... It sounds like most of us have MIII MKII amps and I imagine like me, just one channel is out.  So let's all connect and see if we can pool together our parts. Maybe we can get 3 good amps out of 6?  [email protected] for anyone interested in buying or selling or we will all just sit with paperweights.  Maybe I can leave a message with Manh and mention this idea and he will actually respond and help us.
Good Luck Sodapop with contacting Manh.  A few months ago I actually drove to his house and knocked at his door.  I did this after many attempts at contact by email and phone.  He has a camera outside his door so I decided to ring the doorbell and knock until someone answered. (There were a couple of vehicles in the driveway and it was a Saturday.) There is a small window (probably bathroom) to the right of the front door.  Finally someone answered through this window and it was his wife Cindy.  She ended up being very nice. She said he no longer does any servicing and is working for the military.  She said he has secret clearance and can't discuss anything with anyone and travels extensively.  There are no parts or power modules available to purchase.  I told her that he (Manh) could probably arrange with an independent repair facility to repair Spectron amps and just act as a consultant so that all the owners of Spectron amps would have more than paperweights.  She said she would let Manh know my ideas but I doubt he will act on it.  I believe his power modules were made by a Chinese company to their specs or at least the boards were made by them.  Spectron could have then added their "special" parts which are the problem for repairs.  The whole situation is very sad considering the technology that John Ulrick developed and patented.  I also mentioned to Cindy that Manh should look into selling the patents and designs to someone or some amplifier company.  Since he did not do this makes me think that some of the technology might be used now by the military if Cindy's story is correct. .  At least to my mind it is the only explanation that makes any sense.  I know that John Ulrick manufactured some incredibly powerful subwoofers with what I think were 8000w/ch amps using his technology for a special contract before he passed. Also one other note I emailed Jeff Wells who I believe was sales manager at one time and he said that John was very secretive with his designs and he doubts that anyone else would have any service manuals or schematics available anywhere. I am still using his amps and I am also looking for Spectron Musician amps with at least 1-channel working.  I also am looking for Premiere amps with at least one of the modules working.  Thanks, Bob (geordidog).
@geordidog  Bob,  Thank you for running over to Manh's place.  I almost went to work for John and wish that I had back then in 2009. I would have preserved his legacy.   I remember he was working on that 8000w design.  Maybe Manh is using it to launch missiles, lol.  I have a near flawless black MIII MKII and one channel works perfectly.  Paired with another amp with 1 ch working, and the other disabled it would be an incredible amp because each 1 ch power module would have it's own discreet transformer.  So... does anyone out there want to buy my amp?  or sell me their 1ch MIII MKII?  maybe we can also sell the power modules of the channel that is not functioning for parts to repair other owners amps.  I am open to all suggestions.  I live in Orange County CA
I own 2 musician 3 Mk2 amps - ran them in mono, both have been boxed up for a couple years - now running Theta Prometheus monos.  Obviously, can’t get anything near what I paid for them and am willing to sell both at steep discounts.