Speakers with a 360 degree sound. Read

I was at the Stereophile show in 1996. HSU found a way to get a 360 degree sound without losing midrange. As you know, Mirage and Definitive Technology make these bipolar speakers. Where drivers are on the front and back of the speakers. I always felt this design was flawed, because bipolar speakers didn't sound good in the midrange. What HSU did was, he used 4 PSB Alpa speakers as the main speakers. 2 mini monitors were facing foward and the other 2 mini monitors were right behind the 2 mini monitors facing foward, but these 2 mini monitors were facing the wall. HSU was using a Denon 5 channel receiver and a 2 channel amp for the surround speakers. The 5 channel receiver powered the 4 PSB Alpha speakers and the PSB Center channel and the 2 channel Amp powered the surround sound speakers. There was a 600 dollar HSU Sub being played on these speakers. Let me tell you, this system sounded great. It sounded so 3 dimentional and airy. I think HSU thought of a great idea, to place the speakers facing foward and then to use another pair of speakers facing the wall. This design will give you a 360 degree sound, where you get a great midrange.
twilo

Showing 1 response by sean

Three questions:

1) What makes you think that this is different than Mirage / Def Tech or other similar designs where they use "back to back" drivers inside the same cabinet firing in opposite directions ?

2) What " 360* " speakers are you basing your "lost midrange" comment ? How were these speakers situated in the room ?

3) There is a BIG difference in something that offers 360* of radiation and a bi-polar design. Are you familiar with the differences in design ? Sean
>