Speakers to beat wife-factor ?

I'm looking to replace my Klipsch Forte's with something more refined, but wife-factor requires placement very near rear brick wall, in a 12x14 room (England). Child-factor requires floor-standers -- boxes on stands wouldn't survive. Would like a Maggie-flavored sound, but is there anything that can deliver with its back to the wall and its feet on the ground? I want to keep the solid bass I have now with the Forte's, but want to improve the rest of the sound. Is my quest impossible?
mr_spock
I had a wife-factor problem, and managed to discern that she did not like the speakers to be very tall or wide (in that order, and that she did not like them in the middle of the room. Then a dealer said to me you should really try the Martin-Logan Aerius i, which I did. She loved them! Tall yes, but she saw them as having some style, and therefore a right to be seen, as opposed to the likes of Maggies or boxes. And the Aerius can work well in a small room as close as two feet from the wall, but you have to make sure there is not much by way of reflecting objects on the wall between them. Fortunately I liked them too. Having said that, my real recommendation is to take home on demo the speakers that YOU want. First, you never know, she may like them. Second, she probably fails to appreciate that all speakers do not sound alike, and therefore she is being quite logical in saying to you that she wants small unobtrusive speakers - without thinking much about you. Therefore, take home the ones you like and then tell her how much you love them. You never know! Third, since the speakers you want are probably big and ugly, when you bring in the next best thing and it is smaller, it will look all the better to her.
I am lucky that my wife does love music, and has shared in my hobby. What has worked well for us finally is a pair of Wilson Watt3/Puppy2 in Asian Pearl White. They are small, a nice shape, and the color reflects the living room decor colors. They sound great. I have been able to tweek to get magical sound I really settled down to these speakers and got off the speaker for the year tour. The Wilson's are very available on the used market. You might consider them. Good luck, and your smart by showing some consideration of your wife's interests. A great marriage is way better than any pair of great speakers. cheers, Gerrym5
Please review ProAc 2.5 Speakers, Totem Forest and the Soliloquy 5.3 Speakers. Also Vienna Acoustics Beethoven (3.2)and Joseph Audio RM25si. good luck.
You can go 2 ways, A small heavy speaker or one very large speaker. I beat my wife with a small heavy speaker so my arm doesn't get tired. Did I understand the question?