Speaker shootout question -- do you position the same or differently, depending?

If you're comparing two speakers at home, do you position each the same or do you position each as (roughly) optimal for that speaker in your room?

I'm comparing a tower and a bookshelf now, and their design is different. It would seem that the best way to compare would be to figure out what is optimal for each and then compare them in (likely) different positions. 

What kind of process do you use for comparing two differently designed speakers?

128x128hilde45

Showing 2 responses by riley804

It would seem that the best way to compare would be to figure out what is optimal for each and then compare them in (likely) different positions

the sweet spot for each speaker might not be the same spot.

I agree with finding the optimal position. I agree that any one pair should be removed to get out of the other pair's way. 

i dont think that this is your first time dealing with new speakers?   yes , you are dealing with 2 different speakers, but it seems you are putting way to much into this.               

choose one pair to take the time and setup correctly and it wont be done in 5 minutes and might take you a few days and then when you do find the correct position for them, use blue tape to mark their location.       listen to them and take notes of what you like and dont like.     after you have had enough listening time with those speakers, move them out of the way and   then move on to the next pair and do the same thing again.

if you need to do some last minute comparison tests then you will have your blue tape on the floor to where the speakers go