Speaker Recommendation Help Please.

Hello,

I  am hoping to get some advice.

First, I'm in Canada so when I talk budgets I will use gear, not numbers, as that is probably the best way to remove the "currency" factor ($100 USD is very different than $100 CAD, but a NAD M33 is the same item on both sides of the border). 

Second, I actually have pretty minimal experience with speakers.  I was an avid headphone listener for years as I used to live in a condo so speakers, due to space and neighbours, was not an option.  I've owned most TOTL headphones - HD800, Focal Utopia, LCD4, Abyss, Code-X, SR-009/007, etc.  

Third, I'm looking at speakers for now, only.  An amp and source will come later so let's ignore it for now entirely please.  Assume whatever speaker I end up with, I will get an appropriate amp.  I am trying to keep this as focused as possible and I have to start somewhere, and I've decided the speakers are the place.  If I have a budget of $X, I am happy to spend $X on speakers and wait to buy an amp rather than spending $0.5X on speakers and $0.5X on an amp today.

Fourth, some information about my listening preferences...  People ask, "what kind of music do you like".  Well, as Justice Stewart might say, I can't define it but when I hear it, I know it.  I'm pretty varied and probably listen to much of the same stuff every audiophile does.  I don't listen to a lot of classical, chamber, techno, EDM, rap or country.  Take whatever is left, and that's probably me.  I love detail - It's what I love about the HD800 and Utopia's - there is so much nuance, air and separation.  I love that.  I also love texture, which is why I love the LCD4's.  The resonance of a guitar body, the natural tone of a voice.  And I love slam...  This is my guilty pleasure.  I used to drive my Abyss with a PassLabs INT-30A (30 watts of Class A into headphones) and you could almost feel the impact in your chest.  If you need more detail, or have specific questions about any of this, please let me know.

Fifth, my room is the biggest small room there is (well, not really).  The speakers on going on an 13 foot wall (that extends out to about 60 feet) and the room is 28 feet deep.  The speakers can only be about 12-14 inches from the back wall (I have a wife and it's our family room) and my ears are about 10 feet from the speaker wall.  Oh, and the ceilings are 12 feet high.  Here's my crummy drawing of the room.  Each square is one foot by one foot:

(Hopefully you can read all that).

The speakers are going on the left side and there is fireplace in between.  Behind the couch is the kitchen and, if you are sitting on the couch, to your left, it opens up to the font of the house.  Here's what is actually looks like and the new speaker will go where the current ones are:

(The speakers are Paradigm Active 20's for those playing at home)

To the right is the back of the home which is mostly glass.

Now, as for options.  I don't love the signature of the Paradigms.  They have a  "dark" sound and have a recessed mids.  What I call an "American sound".  I am looking for something more neutral or even slightly warm.  

Locally, there is a pair of Sophia V1's which is my current front runner.  I think they will give me everything I am after with the right amp but they are a little big.  They are also my #1 choice due to price.  I worry about placement and that being a big problem.

I am also considering Wilson SabrinaX's,.  I worry the Sabarina's may be too small sounding for the room (not that I need to fill it, and I don't listen loud), but I love the foot print of them.  Also, because they are Wilson, I again worry about placement.

Next would be Sonus Faber Guarneri Traditions.  I think I would have end up adding a sub down the road which technically makes them the biggest option (by foot print).  I LOVE the look of them.  I also would consider Serafinos if I don't need a but I feel like we are getting into next level stuff with those so everything, like the amp budget has to climb as well.  Right now, my top choice amp for all options is a Hegel H390 or H590 so you get an ideal of budget.  Tubes aren't an option.

Next would be Focal Sopra 2's.  Visually, these are the bottom the list for me personally, but I think they are a bit of a middle ground sonically between the Sabrina's and GT's...  

I am going to listen to all 4 speakers this week.  

My question is which of the 4 would work best in my room given the placement restrictions?  The Sophia's may be a no brainer here because of the price and that they are second hand so they have already depreciated so I could buy them and change to another option later.  Are their others that you would strongly suggest?  Maggies aren't an option due to looks.  Magico isn't an option either.  

Thank you for reading,

-Paul

bigfatpaulie

The key issue is speaker placement required only 1 foot from the front wall.

Many speakers can't produce good sound in such location however you tweak the room.

So look for speakers specifically designed to work well so close.  Few if any of these will be huge full-range towers.  That will restrict the bass response you obtain but will please wifey as the boxes will be small.  You can replace the bass using one or more sub-woofers.

Just to confuse you even more, here is a brand of speaker that doesn't get talked about much, but it would work at only 12 inches from the wall and fill you room with massive bass, huge soundstage and great detail. Not taking a lot of floorspace. Goldenear Triton 1.r. 

Thank you so much for all the replies everyone!!  If I don't reply to you specifically, please know that I have read and taken note of your advice.  Thank you :)  With all the replies I just can't reply to everyone individually.  I really appreciate all the kind support and help from the community!!

@auxinput HAHA!!  Thank you so much and I had a chuckle at you going all Columbo, "Just one more thing."  I completely agree that a grain of salt is always needed.  Please know that whatever advice I get, regardless of the source, I will do my own research and listening.  At the end of the day good sound, to a degree, is personal and everyone has their own priorities and preferences.  

I've heard the same about Wilson stuff and I am concerned about it (fatigue).  I believe the newer stuff (with silk domes) are less so, but it is a big concern for me.  I also appreciate the advice on front ported speakers and Revel.  I can't seem to find a Revel dealer in Toronto, but I know there used be several...  I wonder what happened with that.  I will reach out to the distributor about this and see what my options are.  

I also completely understand (and can relate) to your comments about horns.  I am familiar and it isn't my preferred sound.  Based on reading alone, the SF's are likely going to be closer to what I like provided they have at least some grunt (AC/DC is my guilty pleasure).

@grinnell I've very curios about the Reference 3A de Capos.  Their head office/factory isn't too far from me so perhaps I can arrange a visit.  Thank you.

@spenav Yes - I have the book coming today from Amazon :)  I noticed the first sticky on the speaker forum that talks about it.  Honestly, reading though that, I have half a mind to keep my Active 40's (which are at Paradigm getting fixed) and working with some room treatments and EQ.  That may be all I need and be the best use of money.  Though, I keep the same boring look (regulars black boxes) of my speakers.

@havocman I understand where you are coming from (in my case it's a Chord DAVE) and I absolutely agree with the garbage in -> garbage out idea, but I have to be concerned with how the speakers and room work together.  The DAC, after all, doesn't care about my room.

@eugene81 This is a very real consideration, especially based on the other comment about the Duette.  The dealer has a pair so I can listen to them as well and they may be a really good option. 

@rbstehno What I said was, "my room is the biggest small room there is".  It is a big room in size - 16 feet wide, 28 feet deep with 12 foot ceilings.  But it's small because I have sit close to the speakers and really only have 10 feet from my ears to the back wall.  It's a odd space.  My cousin has Totems (I can't recall the models) and, for me, they didn't sing.  But it could be his room, source, or just that model.  They are easy enough to audition so I will likely do so.  Thank you.  The Ushers certainly look nice (much like SF).  They don't have a dealer/distributor in Canada however.  Is there something about them (aside being front ported) that makes a good choice for my space?

@fthompson251 Thank you!!  There is a dealer about 20 minutes away from me.  I will absolutely audition them.  

Not sure if your final numbers, check out Fyne audio 500 series.  Downfirong bass helps with placement. Even with price increases the 5 and 7 series lunch way above their price