Sound Proofing 101

Any ideas of how to sound proof a wall with out having to tear it down? I am renting a house and this would not be an option. Really made the neighbor mad...opps.

I was think basically making a wall out of Styrofoam. Any other products that might work better? Also would it be better to build a half of an octagon to help reflections on the wall with the neighbor. Placing a piece kiddy-corner in each of the corners.

Thanks
Marty
marty9876

Showing 1 response by mdomnick

What I did:

This will help cut down on the bass, but is more of a solution to help tweek the sound interactions in the room, but...

Buy 1/4 inch plexiglass and I drilled some hole to attach my screw and nuts that I attached wire hangers to to hang like a picture, a 4 point hanger is recommended, then glue a sound insulated ceiling tile to it. Then bunch up some fiberglass insulation and wrap it all in your favorite fabric..I used a dark red (burgandy) crushed velvet fabric. Hang this directly behind your speakers, and make as many as you need. I'd say one behind front speakers for sure. This still won't let you crank it, but should help, and like I said, should help dampen the room.

m-