Sound difference of RME ADI-2 DAC with AK4490 chip (old ) and the AK4493 (new )

Dear Friends,

Is there a difference in  sound of the RME ADI-2 DAC  with  the AK4490 chip (old version) and  the AK4493 (latest version)?

chelg

There is no audible difference although some specs are slightly different. Due to the AKM factory fire, RME ran out of AKM 4493 chips so more recently integrated a chip from ESS. 

Dear  romanesq ,

Thank You for  the answer. As I understand there is  no audible difference between AK 4490 and 4493.But is there a sonic difference between AK and ESS ?

Haven't heard the new RME with the ESS chip but those who have it seem to enjoy it. RME has proven how important implementation is and they have that pro legacy behind them with their German engineering.

Have only heard good things but not surprised as RME spends the time to do their implementation right and it shows. 

It has been said on their forum that there is no audible difference between the 4493 and the ESS chip version.  I have the last version with AKM and it is a great DAC.  I appreciated its sound quality even more after I upgraded my preamp.  It really is remarkable for the price I paid ...