Sophia 300B vs Jeff Korneff 45 Amp

Anyone have anyway of describing the sonic differences between Sophia Electric 9101 300B monoblock single ended amps and a Jeff Korneff 45 SET amp? (Let's assume the JK 45s have enough power to drive the speakers at around 100dB efficiency.) Thanks

- a related question would be which tubes would be preferred, Sophia, EML, solid plates or mesh plates, etc
hi_hifi

Showing 2 responses by eagertrader

By now I suspect that you've made your decision to go w/the 300b or the 45's.

In general, what I have read in many forums and by talking to very knowledgeable people, 45s are the holy grail of the SET's.

I spent most of my audio life in SSland, until I heard tubes. My first tube amp was KT88 based, then I went to 845's because I wanted SET but my speakers were only 90 db efficient.

Yet, I still craved midrange magic and was introduced to BLHs made by johnk in this forum. Ahhh, that single driver and horn combo @ 98db efficiency is hard to beat. Yet, I wanted more and figured that the BLH speakers could deliver. johnk shared w/me that a number of his BLH users were employing Jeff Korneff's 45 SET amp with great success.

Whithout hesitation I plunged in and replaced my 845 amp with a Korneff 45 SEi integrated amp. Best audio decision I ever made. I'll put it in my will to be buried w/this amp.
Very liquid and detailed. In a word, refined. If you are looking for power, with the right speakers 2 watts can make the walls rattle. I am using mine in a room that is 20 x 30 and have more than plenty sound. Aside from the magical sound, dealing with Jeff Korneff is a distinctive pleasure. I dealt with the folks at Sofia and their practices are worlds apart.
I can't tell you how the Korneff 45 compares to the 300b since I never did that one on one comparison. All I can tell you is that you can't go wrong with the Korneff, and if you need service, your manufacturer is in Pittsburgh which is a lot closer than China.
Well, Hi_hifi, it has been almost two and a half years since I posted on this thread, and I for one, would be curious to know which way did you go? 300b or 45's. If you read this please send a response.
By the way, I still have my Jeff Korneff 45SEi, which gets a lot of play time and I have not had a good reason to replace the National Unions 45 I got it with. Some day, $$ permitting, I'd love to try the EML mesh 45's.
A year and a half ago I replaced the Fostex drivers on my BLH's with Audio Nirvana's Super 8 Cast Frames. The dynamics, instrument separation and soundstage, especially for their meager price are unreal.
Happy listening.