Sony XA777ES plus Ack Dack?

I recently moved into a new house with a larger room for my system and have been attempting to eliminate the brightness I would associate with the room. I have bass panels, homemade room lenses, corner traps, etc that should alleviate the room anomolies, but still it seems to be edgy at times especially with CD source material not up to current standards. To me it sounds like the Ack Dack is a very anologue sounding Dac and may alleviate the brightness I'm hearing, but I'm wondering about using a $500 Dac with a $3,000 CD player. Will the Dac sound better than the Sony does by itself, or would I be better off just keeping the Sony. I do like SACD, so I would keep it irregardless. The rest of my system is B&W 801 S3, Bel Canto EV04, Melos Sha Gold Preamp, PS Audio P 300, Jena Lab Symphony & Penta Helix IC's, PS Audio Statement Biwire Sp cables and PS Audio Lab and Mini Lab cables. Lots of isolation devices also.
Finally, I never had any brightness problem in my old room, and it was only 12 x 14. The new room is 18 x 30 with higher ceilings. I'm not interested in changing anything but the digital back end. Maybe just adding the Ack Dack and using it on older, less than great sounding CD's would do the trick? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.
nodaker

Showing 2 responses by dopogue

Just a thought, but do you have any coupling/decoupling or resonance damping thingies under the Sony? I have the full-bore Mapleshade setup under mine (brass cones/maple block/isoblocks) and have lately been experimenting successfully with ... superballs. A friend has found these very helpful in reducing glare and brightness. Just put the superballs in Vibrapods or those carpet-protecting rubber/plastic things that go under furniture -- anything that will keep the superballs from rolling around. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's cheap and may be worth a try. Dave
I have both units, plus a mildly modified Toshiba 3950. I've found that, on Redbook, the Toshiba/Ack dAck combo is more musical (to me) than the Sony alone. Using the Ack dAck with the Sony, there is a very slight improvement on most CDs, but the Ack dAck has no digital out, so it is difficult to use this setup when recording (yes, I could use the Toslink output on the Sony but prefer not to). Also, using the Toshiba as my primary CD transport may hopefully lengthen the life of the XA777, which I'm now using primarily as an SACD player. At least that's my rationale. I do like the Ack dAck, but it does require the discipline to turn the thing off when it's time to recharge the batteries. Good luck, Dave.